PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Bernie
01/23/2003, 03:24 PM
I was running two 72" VHO's (actinic & aquasun) but one of my endcaps melted(very old) and ruined the aquasun. I ordered in new endcaps, a 72" 50/50 and a 175 watt MH from Hellolights. This all happened over the hollidays and my tank took a beating, but seemed to come around nicely over the next two weeks.

I built up my canapy and mounted the 175 watt MH in the center of my tank. Everything ran well until last Monday, the MH went out.

The only thing I can think of, is that it has to be the ballast. I tried plugging it into a seperate outlet, but it never seems to get warm, but I am not sure if it should get warm. My VHO's are running on an old tar ballast and that gets quite warm.

Very new to Mh and could use some help. The new ballast should be here hopefully by tommorow, but my tank is not looking that great. Is there another ballast I could buy from HD to run the MH? Should I be able to feel the electronic ballast heat-up? Could it be the bulb? Is there someway to check the ballast? Any help would be appreciated.