PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide!

andyeig
01/23/2003, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

I am turning my 65 gallon flatback hex into a anenome/clownfish tank. Going to probably go with BTA and a few others. The tank now is currently a skimmerless, refugium DSB tank with softies. I nee to upgrade my lighting. What should I go with? The tank is 3 feet long and 24 inches high. You make the call.

BlAcK_PeRcUlA
01/23/2003, 07:19 PM
alright, first of all get a skimmer. Aqua c remora seems to be a really popular one that everybody has good reviews about. I never tried it myself but you could probably ask soemone about that here. I would try a couple of metal halide bulbs and some atinic pc's. When you say "Going to probably go with BTA and a few others" does that mean you're gonna have more species of anemone? I dont think that's very wise considering they'll fight to the death with chemical warfare or clashing of tentacles. Good luck

jbf16falcon
01/23/2003, 09:02 PM
I raise my BTA's under VHO's. So it doesn't matter VHO or MH. I wouldn't even give them a try if I couldn't put at least 4 watts a gallon over them no matter what you go with. Wattage is a really bad way to put it but it will put you in the ball park. If I put 4 3ft Vho's over them I would go with 1 atinic 03, 1 aqua sun, and 2 atinic 50/50's. They seem to like that combiantion, I'm playing with basically that except with 12 3 footers over my 175. I've played with lots of combinations but that one and switching the number of 50/50's with the number of aqua-suns seems to work well too. In a tank that size I wouldn't even put another BTA that wasn't a clone of the other. Start with one and hope it splits. If you get your number of them up with clones you don't have any warfare going on. Mine are all RBTA clones and I have over 100 in the tank. I have had green BTA's in the tank with them but they decline really fast. I had to give them to a friend for their own good. Mixing with other anemones could end in diaster for the BTA because compared to most other anemones it doesn't carry near the knock out power they do. I agree with all Black_PeRcUlA said. Best of luck.

jbf16falcon

SaltH2o
01/23/2003, 09:24 PM
I have both the remora and remora pro. Make sure to get the pro. and spend the extra for the mag pump instead of the rio.

my two cents...