PDA

View Full Version : filter confirmation...intend to change

ellington
01/23/2003, 06:35 AM
So, I've read a great deal since my wife and I set up our tank. And, based largely on what I've read here, I think that what we initially set up is not what we should have set up. I'm thinking of making changes this weekend but would love thoughts for list participants on whether I've understood filtration correctly.

Thanks in advance!

What we have:

75 gal AGA
2 and a half inches of substrate – mixture of live sand and crushed coral/small shell
small wet/dry sump with filter floss and bio-balls
about 35 pounds of live rock
plans to buy a UV sterilizer

What we want to keep:

A pair of mated clowns (blue stripe or common)
A BTA anemone (prefer one from a clone)
A clearner shrimp or two (perhaps Pepermint)
Something that eats algae (snail or maybe a lawnmower bleeny?)
Hitch-hikers from the live rock

What I now think we should have:
4 to 5 inches of substrate—most of it being sugar-fine sand
about 75 pounds of live rock
protein skimmer
use sump for circulation, place to keep protein skimmer, and to grow some macros (nutrient export)

Do I have it right?

Aaron1100us
01/23/2003, 07:22 AM
Getting rid of CC and using the 4-5 inches of arogonite sand is great, so is the 75lbs of live rock instead of 35. I would recommend not getting a UV unless you just plan on keeping it an FOWLR tank. I think you have it right, sounds like a good setup.

ellington
01/23/2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the confirmation.

I was wondering....my plan was to put down the sugar-sized sand and then cover with a thin layer of the current substrate--to preserve the life in the current substrate and to hold the sand down. Is this a poor plan?

yakmon
01/23/2003, 06:26 PM
You should probably just save a few handfulls of the CC and use just the sugar sized sand. i thought the CC would hold the southdown down and it didn't work. better to just let the sand strorm clear on its own.

ellington
01/23/2003, 11:36 PM
OK, thanks for the suggestion.