PDA

View Full Version : Refugium or Wet/Dry

niko5
01/21/2003, 07:53 PM
My question is what is better to have... at Refugium or a wet dry filter or both? My tank is 58 gal and i dont have alot of room under it. I only have a sump now i was trying to figure out waht i should change it too. Thanks.

Reefer1
01/21/2003, 09:04 PM
I too am in the same boat but have decided to add a 10 gallon refugium to my sump...I dont know if this is possible for you but it is a small tank and may serve as a great benefit to the system diversity. All I will need is 40lbs of LS and $7 worth of various macro algae and a lamp(which I have).

Pomacanthus1
01/21/2003, 09:07 PM
Refugium all the way. Rather than produce nitrates, the macroalgae in a 'fuge will consume them. It would also provide a safe haven for lots of critters and anything else that needs to be isolated.

Reefer1
01/21/2003, 09:09 PM
.....maybe for your situation it might be better to find the the biggest tank(or container) to fit in the space you DO have and put a refugium in there.....from what I am hearing the refugium offers more for your system than a "standard" sump can(even though it still is a sump itself). I will be watching this thread for it will benefit my quest to improve my filtration also!!!

Reef on...

reefsinker
01/21/2003, 11:05 PM
Refugium is the better option IMO. If you can locate it above the tank, not below all the better (but not mandatory). That way critters can get from the refugium without risking life and limb going through a pump.

If you go above, then you still have your sump underneath.

:)

niko5
01/21/2003, 11:46 PM
Thats a very good point about putting it above the tank.. however i have no space waht so ever except under my stand in into a corner aobut 1 ft gurr hehe how bad is it really to have it under the tank?

reefsinker
01/22/2003, 02:46 AM
It's not bad at all. I have it under my tank as I don't have the appropriate place above my tank. The refugium can still fulfill its major function and that is to export nitrates and other less desirable chemicals. The constant replenishment of critters to the main tank, is for many, a nice bi-product not the primary reason for having one. It's just nice to get your cake and eat it too sometimes! :D

ellington
01/22/2003, 12:20 PM
nico5,

thanks for asking this question.

i've been wondering about this myself.