PDA

View Full Version : Sick fish?

Rivah Rat
01/29/2001, 10:17 PM
On sat. I purchased a flame angel I have been feeding formula 1 and angel formula and dried nori in the clip to graze.The fish is in a 10 gal quarantine tank with a cleaner shrimp. Everything was fine until a white string looking thing appeared hanging from underneath him. I think his anus? Could this be internal parasites? What should I treat for? I think I have seen this before with bad results for the fish, they don't make it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

billsreef
01/29/2001, 11:03 PM
Typically a fish that has been starved for a prolonged period (about 2 weeks or more) will shed it's intestinal lining which will appear much as you just described. usually the result is death within a few days at most after observing this. There is also the possibility of internal protozoan parasites causing a fish to have long stringy feces that are white in apearance. In this event an antiparasite medicated food might be effective if the fish is eating. Otherwise the results tend not to be good. To determine which it is takes either an experienced eye or a microscope.

Rivah Rat
01/30/2001, 06:54 PM
Thanks Bill,
I have started feeding medicated food I hope he'll eat it he will eat because he has been eating Formula 1 and angel formula. did a 50% water change the day I got him and 20% everyday since, vaccuming extra food out hopefully he will get over it.

billsreef
01/30/2001, 09:24 PM
Good luck!