PDA

View Full Version : Partiting a Tank/Sump, I Need help...

IFLY2HIGH
06/09/2000, 05:58 AM
Hi, I've been turned down my my local glass shops to get them to drill some holes in my "going to be" sump. Since then I have contemplated of what to do. So, I think I'll get a 55 long tank at my LFS and I want to partition it to have aproximitely a 20 gallon algae/refrigium area, and then it would overflow into the pump/sump area.

My big question is this, if I get a piece of 1/4" think regular glass cut and drilled to fit in the tank, how can I make absolutly sure it'll stay there. I will use the reguler Aquarium Sealant from my LFS. Do I need to add some bracing at the top for the piece of glass to hold back 20 gallons of water?

Also, I'd like that piece of glass to be black. This way light will not shine through into the pump area. What could I use or should I get two 1/8" thick pieces and paint one side black and sandwitch the paint between the glass and silicone it all in place??

Thanks!!!

- Eric

aLittletank
06/09/2000, 06:38 AM
IMO you dont need to pay 4.99 for a small tube of silicone from your pet store. Go to HD and buy a huge tube for your calk gun for the same price. Then you can really guop it on thick to make sur it stays put :)

Allen

reefmanic
06/09/2000, 06:51 AM
Hi Eric,
I have a 30g sump on my 55g reef and all I did was use a piece off egg crate to section an area just big enough to house the skimmer and return pump.

I have macro growing on the side w/out pump or skimmer and have a sand bed only on that side.

I have a good population of pods and worms in there and the macro's doing great,and the only light I have on it is a 150w incandescent grow light.I'm even getting coralline in there.

I know this isn't exactly what you where looking to do and I've considered the same thing you're thinking ,but this is working and might give you another alternative,plus it caters to my lazy side :D

HTH,August

coralhound
06/09/2000, 09:45 AM
I would not use a regular HD cualk make sure that it says can be used in aquariums.

I used GE RTV 118

there is a pic of exactly what you want to do I put in two on my 20 gal sump
(will take 2 min to DL page)
http://www.cmas-md.org/99tour/kuehn.htm

as far as the black I used clear lexan, you can get smoke lexan at any plastics shop and drill holes with a hole saw.

HTH
CH

------------------
Please BUY captive bred marine life...
My website: Moon Tide Reefs (http://www.qis.net/~ckkuehn)

[This message has been edited by coralhound (edited 06-09-2000).]

aLittletank
06/09/2000, 10:34 AM
Ch I have never had problems with buying silicone and using it in my tanks in the past. You must know something i don't regaurding the difference between AGA silicone and the silicone sold at HD

would you please share with the class :)

Allen

coralhound
06/09/2000, 10:46 AM
some not all HD silicone has a mildew inhibitor inside it, not good for tanks, they make special formula's without them and work great for aquariums (extra glass adhesion for strength? dunno just speculation) most tubes will say NOT for aquariums. Graniger sells 118 or 108 by GE its cheaper than the all glass stuf and says safe for aquariums right on it. (one is runny, self leveling the other is what you want.

HTH

now maybe your HD has one that doesnt, all the tubes I looked at said not for aquariums
what did you use?

CH

------------------
Please BUY captive bred marine life...
My website: Moon Tide Reefs (http://www.qis.net/~ckkuehn)

IFLY2HIGH
06/09/2000, 12:44 PM
coralhound,

yep that's about what I want to, do alright. Except my return pump and skimmer and it's pump would be on the low side of the tank for me...

Thanks for giveing me a product to go check at HD. I've heard about the calk issuses and just wanted to be on the safe side and use the stuff from my LFS. I'll go check HD for that stuff...

- Eric

bigben
06/09/2000, 06:30 PM
I'm with reefmanic. I have one partition off eggcrate in my sump and tons of macroalgae. As far as I know, the only reason people use the multiple partitions is to prevent bubble return to the tank. However, bubbles have never been an issue for me. I put a piece of filter pad under the output into my sump. This spreads out the water flow, thus preventing bubbles.

One advantage of the eggcrate is that you can "weave" your macroalgaes in it. This allows you to build a makeshift trellace and control the macro growth easily. It also lets you add surface area to the algal mats--very important in refugia. I'm about to install my second vertical piece of eggcrate to start my macros growing on--more area for filtration and more area for the 'pods to live in!!! Think about it....

HTH :)
Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

Rick O
06/09/2000, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, I never knew there was any difference in the silicone, as long as it was fully cured before use.

Eric,

If you use acrylic (also available at HD) you can cut and drill it yourself. Try using adhesive backed vinyl (available from sign shops) to darken the glass. This is what I used on the back glass of my tank. Although I'm not sure how it would hold up under water.

Rick

Fishguyis
06/10/2000, 11:02 PM
If you are going to use acrylic you will have to really "goop" the silicone on as it does not stick very well to acrylic!!! hehe I tried once with just using a "moderate" amount of silicone and it let go after a couple of days. So if you want to use it make sure you really load it on!! :D