PDA

View Full Version : Rio 800 venturi replacement

btrick
01/17/2003, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know of a replacement for a rio800.
My skimmer calls for that.
I'm on my second pump in 6 month.
First one locked up (lucky me I caught it before melt down).
I have read the rio have issues.
But I have not seen another pump designed to pull the air through the pump.

Thanks,
Bret

SeanT
01/18/2003, 12:03 AM
Try a maxi-jet 1200

Reefer1
01/18/2003, 10:38 AM
Rio is located in Torrance, California...you could try contacting them. You would definately get a return on your pump(I have done this myself with a Rio 800 at that, mine was extremely loud and clangy sounding) I personally am using 4 right now and am having success. The shafts sometime rust after about a year or so and they do need to be brushed about once every 2 months. Other pumps are far superior but are far more expensive(this is my dilema). I have never had one "meltdown" but I have had them stick due to sand or debris that got inside,please tell me more...does it actually "meltdown"? When they have stuck on me and I pull them out I have never noticed that they were hot so please elaborate for me on this!

DgenR8
01/18/2003, 11:02 AM
I have been running a RIO on my temporary skimmer, I pray every day that it won't melt down. My new LifeReef skimmer is here now, so it won't be much longer that I have to worry about the RIO thing.
Rather than have me tell you what I've read about them, I'll post this link to what people have experienced.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103466&highlight=Lets+count+the+broken+Rios

jadavis01
01/18/2003, 02:36 PM
Actually RIO is in Camarillo, CA about 40 miles north of Torrance. The company is TAAM. Tat is the owner (basically a family run business).
I had too many problems (locking up) with several RIO RVT pumps (600 and 800) so I switched to a MJ-1200 on my CPR Backpak skimmer.

Reefer1
01/18/2003, 03:20 PM
My bad...So. Cal is the place