PDA

View Full Version : Need lighting opinions...

emilye2
01/16/2003, 08:03 PM
'Kay all-If ever you had an opinion on lighting I would like to hear it. I was all set to go ahead and upgrade to PC...then I went to see Tom at TRS. He seems to think VHO's are the way to go b/c the lamps last longer and put out better light for a longer amount of time. (at least that's how I understood it.) However, much to my surprise VHO's cost about twice as much as PC. Now if the difference is really that great I'll bite the bullet and shell out the bucks, but if there really is no difference then I have lots of other things I could buy! :) I'm moving in the direction of mostly soft corals. And does anyone know if the smartlights (1/2 white 1/2actinic) are better/worse then regular PC's? Thanks in advance for any input guys!

BTW-I am in awe of Tom's store and I got some amazing lr from there! There is now more reason's than the in-laws to visit rochester!! :)

marine mania
01/16/2003, 08:24 PM
I only know of one place that uses smartlights on a couple of tanks. I saw some cool clams that seem to be doing well. I also use power compact lighting on my tank for the same reason, that it is cheaper and does the job for a beginner. I am sure you will get more detailed responses on your question, but thought you might want to know if you do decide to go with the power compacts they are decent lights for the money.
MM

ThingsReef
01/16/2003, 08:24 PM
What size tank do you have, and what do you want to keep in the tank?

I've had success with my 90 with 4x110w VHO's and wouldn't change them as the tank looks great and has for the whole year it's been a Reef Tank. I also have nano's (7 bowfront, etc.) that looks great with 2x32 pc's. The largest tank I've put pc's on is a 36 bowfront with 2x96w which is coming around nicely (little trouble when the navy sent me out of town for a month).

Good luck. I'll be watching to see how it turns out...later

ThingsReef
01/16/2003, 08:28 PM
Forgot to mention that I have been tempted to try the smartlights but haven't as I came across the "All Glass" screw in power compact light @ 6500 that they came out with recently (cheap for a couple of my small tanks since I already had the screw in fixtures) and thought it would be a fun experiment. So far many soft corals love them.

Playfair
01/16/2003, 10:17 PM
How are PC's LESS expensive? A high-quality electronic ballast like the Icecap 660 costs the same for either (~$160?)... A 96W PC lamp runs a whopping $40+ bucks, whereas a 110W VHO is half of that.

A potential setup on a 55 is (4)VHO's, which would run under $275 including water proof endcaps and everything. That gives you 440 watts...

Of course, I'd go with MH! But...

Craig lives up the road from me with a 55 and the VHOs. Next time you come up, it might benefit you to visit some reefs besides the LFS's.

windstalker
01/17/2003, 04:20 AM
I'm currently running 2x36 watt PC's on my 10 gallon, 1 10kk and 1 actinic. We'll see if its enough for the green slimer and the orange digi I just put in last weekend. Everything else in the tank is doing very well. The lighting plans for my next tank (20 gal long) is going to be 150 Iwasaki 50kk MH and 2 24" VHO's. You have to be real careful with the actinic in PC's as some places claim they are actinic when really they are just blue...especially with the 50/50 bulbs. Just my thoughts. Take care and have a great day.

Steve

ThingsReef
01/17/2003, 06:05 AM
Windstalker,
I had some green montipora digi in the 7 bow with 2x32w pc's, 1 20k and 1 actinic, and it seemed to love it.

emilye2
01/17/2003, 07:50 AM
The best prices on VHO I've been able to find is at liveaquaria.com and that's only a two bulb retro kit for $200. If i'm going to run VHO's ideally I would like to have 4 bulbs which means I'll need the whole hood since I only have the housing for two bulbs. If anyone knows of a site that has a 4 bulb setup for a decent price let me know. I would rather be running VHO if I can I like the look of them better and Playfair is right, the bulbs are a heck of a lot cheaper!

mirski57
01/17/2003, 09:46 AM
I've been looking at adding 4 VHO's to my 2 x 175w MH 10K's on my 90.

The best retro kit package I found for a ballast and 4 pair of waterproof encaps is $165 at hellolights.
http://www.hellolights.com/48vhoretkit.html

or if you only want the ballast, wires, and caps without the reflector it'll cost you $149
http://www.hellolights.com/vhoballastkits.html

HTH
Mirski57

dmorel
01/17/2003, 05:18 PM
Never get into a lighting thread Never get into a lighting thread
Doh... too late!

Here's the thing, this question requires both subjective and objective answers.

If you want to keep SPS, you "should" get MH's. There is no debate here, it is the case that you should... You CAN use only PC's you CAN use only VHO's, you CAN use a mixture of PC's and VHO's.
Exceptions abound, for instance very small tanks that fit into the nano range. My nano grows sps like weeds with 2x36 PC's, Playfair IIRC also has that configuration on his and has insane growth. btw, his nano inspired mine, credit where it is due...

If you're larger then 20 gallons +/- and want to keep SPS get a MH.

If you don't want to keep SPS then the PC vs VHO debate is afoot.
Now the choice becomes yours, much the way you will be forced to decide between 65K. 10K. 12K. and 20K MH bulbs if you go that route.

Look at some tanks, then look at some more. See what light you like then get some like those, understanding the limits that they may or may not put on you in relationship to the corals you can keep.

Make a choice of what works both for you and the animals you wish to keep. There is either a saying or their should be one that goes along the lines of once you go Metal Halide you never go back because the light is just beautiful with the shimmering and glimmering and explosive growth and...

BTW Mirski, I have 4x110 VHO (2 actinic 2 daylight) paired with 2x175 10K MH's and a 2x56 actinic pc (dawn/dusk) and the color imho is beautiful! Welcome to take a look sometime.

Good luck emilye2!

-dm

MarksReef
01/17/2003, 06:01 PM
I have 4x110 VHO (2 actinic 2 daylight) paired with 2x175 10K MH's
Dmorel: I just ordered 2- 175 ushio's. I have 4 vho's 2-50/50 & 2 act. on there now and was wondering what to do with the vho's. I was thinking of keeping just 2 atc. and dumping the 50/50 or 4 actinic. I really didnt think the 2 whites would make a difference being w/ the 175's M.H's
I guess my question is what do you get out of the 2 white vho's? is it more white, light, or watts ?

mirski57
01/17/2003, 06:43 PM
oooohhhhhh......aahhhhhhh

zack136 and dmorel, what size tank do you have ?

I have a 90 that I would want to do 2 x 175MH's and 4 x 110 VHO's.

I may definately have to have a quick visit to really see what I *think* I'm going to do.

I'm also trying to figure out if 4 VHO's is any better than 2. I only have 2 x 40w NO's right now with my 2x175s.

dmorel
01/17/2003, 09:30 PM
It is of course just my opinion but I very much like the light of 2 "white" bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs with my MH's. I currently have 1 actinic white and one aquasun plus the two normal actinic, they are all from URI. 4 actinic is way too much blue for me. I think you will definately notice the light difference with 4 bulbs vs. 2. This setup compliments the crips 175 10K ushios that I have on there very nicely. I do also offset with a pair of 65 PC's which are actinic. This is used as my dusk/dawn lighting.

This weekend is out, but next weekend would be open if either or both of you (and anyone else interested) want to come check out the light that I get with this setup.

Oh, sorry Mirski, almost forgot, this is on a 90.

Regards,
-dm