PDA

View Full Version : Do Euroreef Skimmers....?

Avonlea,PA
01/15/2003, 08:46 AM
Have an outlet in the skimmer cup so that you can connect a drain line to allow waste to drain into a larger container?

I can't decide if I want to go with the Euroreef or the AquaC, and this may help me with my final decision.

If it doesn't come with one, do you think it would be difficult to add one?

:fish2:

Mako
01/15/2003, 09:40 AM
No they don't come with one, but they are not hard to add. The cup is so big though that it will hold well over a weeks worth of skim mate. My CS8-2 was drilled in the bottom of the cup and tapped. Never needed to use it though due to the size.

Having been down the AquaC route myself once upon a time....IMO, steer clear of them. The ER skimmer is a much better unit.

ChrisPrusha
01/15/2003, 09:52 AM
I think Mako and I have agreed to disagree on this issue. ;)

I have an AquaC EV-240 (which I absolutely love) and I am cleaning it every other day cuz it's full of fish poo!

Chris

zooqi
01/15/2003, 10:34 AM
I personally don't drain straight from the collection cup because if the skimmer for any reasons started to kick clear water out then it will not take alot of water out of your system. I make the dirt drain in another collection cup that I sit it in the sump or make sure that when it gets to a certain level it drains the extra back in the tank because I empty my skimmer twice a day and I always do it in the morning and afternoon. Here is an example of the collection cup that I picked up from inside the sump for a pic.http://www.zooqi.com/rc/skimmer/1.jpg

L and L
01/15/2003, 10:57 AM
Good point zooqi (clear water draining).

I have the Euro Reef CS6-2 and clean the collection cup an average every 8 days. It runs 24/7 and IS plug and play. Easy to adjust riser tube for foam height and easy to remove the collection cup. Very happy with this purchase.

Cleaning it twice a day or every other day sounds like PITA (imo).

ChrisPrusha
01/15/2003, 11:04 AM
Cleaning it twice a day or every other day sounds like PITA (imo).

One would think so, but it's not too bad. I also don't have either of the auto waste container accessories.

Go AquaC! :D

Chris

zooqi
01/15/2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks you. You can make it drain to the bucket and add a stop valve to it and when it gets close to the top it stops.

L and L
01/15/2003, 01:30 PM
bah... you're right Chris... that was a poor choice of words. hehe, i was trying to think of a quick acroymn that fit... and that one came out :rolleyes:

Although, I'm still bound to my tank because of the manually adjusted (gravity drip) topoff (2.2 gallons/day)... and can't take an extended vacation yet (longest was 3 days. I am working towards fixing this)... having at least a week before I have to empty the collection cup is just one more step to get an automated system that will allow me a longer vacation.

I don't have a tank sitter or LFS in my city. I have family here..but, you know... not a reef tank person.

Over the Xmas holidays.. we were thinking about visiting my brother-in-law in the florida keys... and I said we couldn't go there because I couldn't leave my Reef tank. hehe, how ironic is that? I can't go snorkeling and see real reefs because I have a reef tank. The trip fell through anyway because of work...but, it was funny (of course not exactly to my wife. hehe).

L and L

Mako
01/15/2003, 01:39 PM
Chris - Yes we have. But until you have a run a ER skimmer on your setup and compared it to your AquaC your opinion is disqualified as brand bias. :D

Drain your collection cup twice a day??? OMG, what a pain in the arse that must be. That would drive me crazy!

ChrisPrusha
01/15/2003, 01:42 PM
:D

Ironic, indeed!

Chris

ChrisPrusha
01/15/2003, 01:49 PM
But until you have a run a ER skimmer on your setup and compared it to your AquaC your opinion is disqualified as brand bias.

Fair enough! :D

Drain your collection cup twice a day???

Actually, every other day...and it's gunk for the most part, not tea. Maybe I'm feeding too much! :rolleyes:

Have a great day guys!

Chris

Mako
01/15/2003, 02:04 PM
You know I am just yanking your chain don't ya Chris? ;)

opihi
01/15/2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Mako
No they don't come with one, but they are not hard to add. The cup is so big though that it will hold well over a weeks worth of skim mate. My CS8-2 was drilled in the bottom of the cup and tapped. Never needed to use it though due to the size.

i also have an 8-2, and the size of the skimmate cup has never been an issue. i've never used an aquaC, but i've been so impressed w/ my ER, i would definitely recommend it to others.

Pomacanthus1
01/15/2003, 02:23 PM
The collection cups on Euros are huge. I only have to empty mine every 7-10 days. I guess you could put a drain on it, but i wouldn't because unless you have a stop valve, there is always the chance of the skimmer flooding and making a huge mess.

A cup drain wouldn't really be that big of an advantage anyway IMO. The cup and riser tube on either skimmer will get so dirty in a week or so that it will stop skimming effectively unless you clean it. When you do that, just empty the cup.

Go with the Euro.:D

Avonlea,PA
01/15/2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think I've been sold on the Euroreefs. Do you think a CS6-2 would work well with a 120? I plan on having a 4-6" DSB, and I've read that a proteim skimmer is not that critical to have with a DSB. Maybe I could go with the CS6-1?

opihi
01/15/2003, 06:16 PM
if you can afford it, i'd go bigger. that way if you ever decide to get a tank larger than 120, or have a really high bioload, you don't have to upgrade again.

i'm bought the 8-2 to use on my current 54g. i know i'll have a 100+ tank in the near future (as soon as i get a place w/ more room:)).

IMO, a 6-1 on a 120 might be pushing it.

ChrisPrusha
01/15/2003, 07:00 PM
You know I am just yanking your chain don't ya Chris?

Of course I do, Chuck! :)

I think I've been sold on the Euroreefs

You certainly can't go wrong with any of them! Good luck!!

Chris