PDA

View Full Version : opinions on these fish

lowpro1
01/15/2003, 08:33 AM
what would you guys think about keeping these fish together:

1 dwarf zebra or fuzzy lionfish (undecided)
2 Long nose hawk fish
1 or 2 starfish of some sort

would they mix or would the starfish be doomed? i have a 30 gallon tank and my filtration will be about 20 pounds of live rock, give or take a pound here and there, a 4-5 since sand bed mix between live sand and down south sand. a protien skimmer and 2 power heads. if that to much of a bio-load for a 30? if so, can you guys give me your opinions on what preditory fish i can keep?

NorthCoast
01/15/2003, 08:53 AM
I really think that you will be overstocked in a 30 gallon tank. Most preditory fish will get too large for a 30 gallon by themselves. Considering the fact that you want more than one it may not be realistic long term. Sure you can populate with juveniles, but there will be problems later on.

Perhaps a hawkfish and a psuedochromis, hawkfish and a clownfish, pygmy puffer and a clownfish, or other combination of two fish that are max. 3-4" full grown for your tank.

Hope this helps,
NC

jacksonpt
01/15/2003, 09:43 AM
I agree with the above, even dwarf lions can push 6-8" when full grown, and that's just not enough space for a lion, especially when you consider the impact a lion has on the bioload. I'm not sure how big the hawk would get, but if it was large enough that the lion couldn't swallow it whole then they should get along. I doubt the lion would bother the stars either.

Space is probably your only concern.