PDA

View Full Version : HELP!?!? In-tank Overflow Vs. Bulkheads

pepperfish
01/14/2003, 11:03 PM
Please help...
I have purchased a 60g TruVu Acrylic aquarium. I have heard from multiple stores that I should incorporate an internal (in-tank) acrylic overflow box to help eliminate future headaches, and for better overall performance. However, I have heard from just as many people on the other side, whose initial response is why? or better yet, Why do want to spend $50-$100 for something that is not needed.
I'm not afraid to spend a little extra now to save some headaches, but is it worth it.

My brain is Overflowing!

NorthCoast
01/15/2003, 09:10 AM
[welcome]

I really like the internal overflows and the peace of mind that I don't have to worry about an external overflow box. It is worth the $50 - 100 investment.

If your question is internal overflow vs. external overflow then go internal. If your question is overflow box vs. standpipe only then it still would go internal overflow.

Later,
NC

Glenntessmer
01/15/2003, 09:21 AM
Having used both, for me an internal overflow is significantly better and reliable. The external typically uses a siphon whereas the internal is a waterfall into the sump. If the siphon is lost/broken then the sump pump can overflow the tank.

mjsandbe
01/15/2003, 10:15 AM
I agree with the previous notes.

I have a 58 RR and a 90 with external overflow. I will be getting the 90 drilled in about a month when I move it.

L and L
01/15/2003, 02:54 PM
Drilled and internal overflow.

I started with my 100g (60x18x20) tank and it was a FOwLRLS. Had it up one month w/ just 3 starter fish.... broke it down and sent it back to the manufacture to get drilled overflow and closed loop drilled too.... once I decided to make a Reef tank.

Cost me $200 for that (Two 6"x9" overflow boxes (1" drain, 3/4" return) and two 1" holes drilled in back (closed loop drains)) and it was well worth it.

If you do get the external overflow... it seems that most recommend the LifeReef overflow ... and this costs $$$(? less than $150 I believe for the single... I can't get onto the lifereef website. argh.)

Get the internal.... and possibly closed loop hole(s) drilled.

L and L
01/15/2003, 04:19 PM
ack! I forgot the obvious... What do you want to keep in your tank?

Fish Only w/ LR LS or Reef tank ? (typical choices...but, they break down into other branches)

Probably going for a reef tank... assuming that you want a sump underneath with a skimmer ... the $50-$100 you think you would be saving would actually be spent on the external overflow siphon device.

If you don't want a sump and/or skimmer.... then you probably would save that amount plus some (external overflow + sump tank + skimmer). My 30g FOwLRLS and inverts is sumpless and skimmerless. Waste scum will collect on the top of the saltwater surface... so, I do clean it off every week or so.

It seems that the typical reef setup is overflow (internal or ext.) to sump w/ skimmer (possibly having a refugium in there). Hiding heaters in sump. And dosing Kalkwasser or Calcium reactor and topoff water in sump.

pepperfish
01/15/2003, 09:03 PM
This is going to be Reef tank, planning for aprx. 60 lbs. of LR and:
-30x12x16 single draw bio draw tower
-Gen-x4800 pump
-Aqua C Urchin in sump Skimm w/ Maxi-Jet 1200
-Via Aqua 200 Watt Titanium Heater
-Icecap 660 w/ 2 Actinic whites & 2Super Actinics

Sound okay? Suggestions?

Thanks so much for replies!!

L and L
01/15/2003, 10:54 PM
Yeah.. I thought you probably were doing a reef tank....
but, you never know... till you ask. :D

The next step IMO is this:

Do you want this type of reef tank?

1. soft corals, zoanthids, mushrooms(corallimorpharians), LPS (large polyped stoney corals)

2. SPS (small polyped stoney corals), tridacnid clams

3. Anemones

4. Start w/ #1 then go to #2

5. combo of them all or just one type of these

Lots of other combinations... but, this seems easiest imo. This decision will help you pick out the lighting and

What type of fish do you want to keep? This bio-load will help you decide on what type of filtration system to install.

Actually, the first thing I would do is go buy some books:

The Reef Aquarium Vol 1 by Sprung and Delbeek
The Reef Aquarium Vol 2 by Sprung and Delbeek
Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman

yeah.... it's probably going to cost $150 for all of these.... or I'd at least start with "Reef Aquarium Vol 1" and "Aquarium corals".

I have these also:
Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

I quickly found out searching the internet will confuse the heck out of you. At least you found Reef Central.... this is a great place. But, still there are a variety of tanks here and multiple opinions.

These books are written by experts and will shed light on subjects you want to know about. This will be the biggest help.
Searching Reef Central will be the next biggest (assuming you don't have a local reefer friend). I'd search "50" or "60" to try to find as many 50 gallon or 60 gallon reef tanks and see what their systems are. Search your equipment and see the pros and cons.
Search "titles only" and you'll get better results.

What is a "30x12x16 single draw bio draw tower"?

I've only got 14 months experience and I don't have any experience w/ your equipment other than the IceCap 660 (I have this and think it's a very good buy imo).

I didn't hear you mention a substrate. I'd recommend a Deep Sand Bed of 4-6" (southdown or www.purearagonite.com are good choices) with a few pounds of live sand.

Lighting: Don't know... I think a clam wouldn't work without a Metal Halide light... Corals (excluding SPS) might be fine depending on how many watts you have.

pepperfish
01/16/2003, 03:27 AM
I'm wanting to do a combo tank, so #5 (my wife loves clams, so this is a definate). Sounds like I'll have to incorporate a Metal Halide.
I haven't chosen a substrate, but one thing that I have heard, is that it is not necessary to use Live sand inconjunction with Live rock (apparently the cycling will introduce organisms within the LR and create LS)????
I have picked up "The simple guide to Marine Aquariums" seems informative so far.
Oh yeah, single draw bio tower, was an item I got on an estimate, I think it is an acrylic sump?

Thanks for all the info!!!:D

MalHavoc
01/16/2003, 09:39 AM
If you want to keep clams, MH is definitely suggested. You should also wait a few months and make sure that your tank is stable before putting SPS or clams in there, since they prefer very stable, mature tanks with excellent water quality.

Live sand, unless you get it from a fellow reefer's tank, is pretty much just wet sand in a bag. Save yourself some money, and find a local reef club and ask a member for a cup or two from their own sand bed, and you'll be off to a great start.

You don't need to seed a sand bed for it to start producing, either. Live rock will do it too, albeit a bit more slowly.

L and L
01/16/2003, 11:56 AM
"Combination tank" ... yeah, this is what I'm going for too. I've got softies, zoanthids, LPS and 1 clam. About to get some mushrooms and looking into a starter SPS like Monitipora spp.

Tridacnid clams are extremely cool. I'd call Barry at www.clamsdirect.com. when you get a reef tank that is stable (salinity, temp, pH, Alk, Cacium). He cherry picks his clams and has great customer support. Read his "clam care" page and check out some of his current livestock. You have to be quick to buy them there... as he sells them quickly when he gets them. Which should give you a slight indication of how great his clam store is. Once you do business with him... you'll know he is one of those top-notch quality caring stores.

If you want to check out my system and see some plumbing, refugium, and sump schematics... click on my homepage link and it'll get you there.

One thing you haven't mentioned yet... is: Are you using tap water, RO water, RO/DI water, bought water at LFS, or natural seawater etc..? Highly recommend RO or RO/DI. You could buy a home drinking RO system (and add DI) and use it for the family and your reef tank.... which is what I did. www.AquaticReefSystems.com is tops in my book (and a lot of other people too. Just search "ARS" or their name and you'll see too). Talk to Bryan.

I haven't chosen a substrate, but one thing that I have heard, is that it is not necessary to use Live sand inconjunction with Live rock (apparently the cycling will introduce organisms within the LR and create LS)????

This is basically true to a degree. Introducing Live sand (i believe) contains more of a diversity of organisms than just live rock. I can't get to Dr. Ron Shimek's website (stupid websense blocking software!)...but, he has a great page about Deep Sand Beds and depths, shape and grain size. www.rshimek.com

Adding live sand will also speed up your Nitrogen cycle. You could buy a few pounds or get a few cups from a local reefer. I would add some live sand.

L and L

L and L
01/16/2003, 12:11 PM
Live sand, unless you get it from a fellow reefer's tank, is pretty much just wet sand in a bag

I disagree with that. I bought Live Sand from my LFS and it was full of life.

I did also buy 20 lbs of NATURE'S OCEAN BIO-ACTIV ARAGONITE-
-LIVE SAND and this may be what you are referring to or somethig equiv. I don't recall if it had a positive or no effect... and if I had it to do over again.. I probably wouldn't have bought it.

L and L

MalHavoc
01/16/2003, 12:22 PM
I guess I don't see how a bag full of sand supposedly teeming with aquatic life can sit on a pallet or a shelf for a couple of weeks and still have anything worthwhile in it once you add it to your tank. It's been my experience that these bags of live sand are right up there with bottles of bacteria for cycling your tank, which are also not worth anything.

Perhaps the LFS at which you bought that sand routinely bags it and tries to keep it warm or something.

L and L
01/16/2003, 12:39 PM
Oh, I got what your saying....

When I bought live sand from my LFS... we went to the back and he scooped out 15 lbs from a 100 gallon glass tank. It had lighting and was connected to their filtration.

MalHavoc
01/16/2003, 01:11 PM
:thumbsup:

That's the way to do it!