PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the water from my refridgerator to top off my 10-gallon tank?

RLiu818
01/14/2003, 09:30 PM
My refrigerator is pretty brand new and it has a built in water filter in the door where you push a cup there and water goes in and you can drink it.

I dont know exactly what kind of filter it is, but can i use the water that comes out from that little dispenser to top off the water in my 10-gallon tank?

RLiu818
01/14/2003, 09:31 PM
i found a link to the filtration on the fridge from the company website

http://www.whirlpool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/prod_feat_major.d2w/report?prmenbr=181&prrfnbr=913379&catname=Refrigerators&itemsku=GS6SHAXLS&feat_nbr=5309

moze229
01/14/2003, 10:01 PM
I suppose it would be OK. There should be more detail in the owner's manual about the specs on the purifier as far as how is works and how long the filter media is good. You may want to weigh the cost of that against just purchasing RO water. Of course, that particular filter is designed for drinking water - filling a few glasses of water a day rather than topping off a fish tank :) You may go through a lot of media. However, 10 gal. top off per day shouldn't be that bad. I'll let someone else just in on this one :)

NorthCoast
01/15/2003, 09:05 AM
FWIW,

The filter in mine Whirlpool 'frig' is a carbon canister that I replace yearly. It is better than just tap water, however, I think that a small RO/DI setup would be less expensive and better quality in the long run. The 'frig' filters are expensive when comparing the price and expected life measured in gallons of water processed.

Later,
NC