PDA

View Full Version : Question on SB

jjkahler
01/14/2003, 08:24 PM
I recently just set up a tank with about 2.5 inches of sand (soudown and 2 lbs live florida sand). When I set up the tank I recall someone saying to not wash the Southdown sand, so I diddnt. But the more I read the more I seem to think that I should have washed the sand (I just poured it right from the bag w/no water). The tank ran about a week with just sand in it (no live sand yet). Will this cause me problems? The tank is almost 4 weeks old. Anyone use Southdown without washing it first? How can I correct this problem if it is a problem? Replace the sand? Or just remove the sand and clean it? What about the live sand that I seeded it with, will pulling the sand out and cleaning it affect the critters in the sand? Any suggestions is appreciated.

SeanT
01/14/2003, 09:51 PM
You should NOT rinse the sand.
As for running for a week you are fine. You haven't even started to cycle yet so all is well.

jjkahler
01/15/2003, 12:05 AM
Great, thx for the reply. I was worried about not washing the sand. But the tank has allready cycled, its been up with live sand for 30 days. VERY small cycle, amm went to .5, then nitrite went to .5, then nitrates started going up, cycle was done about 14 days ago. I got my LR and LS from premium aquatics, next day air so very little die off. I have 1 halloween and 1 scarlet snail, 10 nassarius snails, 5 margarita snails, and 3 astreas. Is this too much for the 10 gallon? I am planning on putting a small clown in it too in about a month. Thx again. :)

DgenR8
01/16/2003, 06:11 AM
Just one more voice to confirm that you did the right thing by not washing your Southdown.
As long as you have algae to feed the snails you have, you don't have too many.