PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Circulation?

buggle
01/14/2003, 06:22 PM
I just got an AquaC Remora and two MJ powerheads (1200) for my 55 gallon. Set it up and now there's bubbles everywhere!!!! Is there too much circulation going on in my tank? I also have an AquaClear 500 on it for the mechanical filtration. This is a FOWLR. Also, the skimmer is not skimming, I understand it needs to break in but all there is in the collection cup is condensation, is that normal? Thanks for the help as usual.

Buggle

NewMariner
01/14/2003, 10:03 PM
The bubbles in your tank are caused by your new skimmer. As it breaks in it will slow down.....

DrJ
01/14/2003, 10:10 PM
I too just installed a Remora skimmer. According to the instructions, for two weeks, the aquarium will be filled with micro bubbles and the skimmer most likely will not make any foam. My skimmer has condensation in the cup too, although on the second day, I was getting a bit of foam.

I have a bubble problem too, even before the skimmer. I have two large powerheads both with sponge prefilters and there are always bubbles present. If I turn off the power heads, they go away, so I know the bubbles are from the power heads. Only thing I can think of is that the power heads are strong enough to churn the dissolved oxygen out of the water. Or perhaps the insides heat up just enough to reduce the solubility enough to release bubbles? Who knows?

Maybe someone with more experience can tell me if water quality has any effect on quantity of foam produced? My tank is under stocked, I have good circulation, filtration, and do extensive water changes. I've gotten along without a protein skimmer for sometime now. Anyone?

Captain
01/14/2003, 11:43 PM
Be sure the phs are not to close to surface. If there is any whirlpool effect it they will draw air and creat bubbles. Also new sponge filters could have some residue on them that has not cleaned out yet. On the remora pull the collection cup up half way and don't worry if it dosen't make any foam for awhile. When it does slowly raise cup each day till it makes thick DARK green skim. Then set it back there after emptying. Do you have the maxi jet head on skimmer? The more power the better.I run 1200 on mine. After all this settles in the small bubbles will go away. Later

buggle
01/15/2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the help. So does anyone think TWO MJ 1200's are too much for a 55 gallon tank? I also run the skimmer with a 1200. DrJ, what school do you go to and what year are you? I thought I was the only idiot that was willing take the time out of med school do take up this crazy hobby!

buggle

DgenR8
01/15/2003, 06:33 AM
I agree, give the skimmer time to break in, that should really make a huge difference.

DRJ,
[welcome]

Waterbury Guy
01/15/2003, 07:37 AM
I don't think you have too much circulation. I too have a 55 FOWLR, i have (2) MJ 600's and (1) MJ1200. I just installed a Remora Pro last night with a Mag5 pump. I got bubles too and was told this is normal for a week or two.

DrJ
01/15/2003, 07:29 PM
Buggle,

I'm at New Jersey Medical School, first year. I must not study enough, because I have a decent amount of time on my hands. I'm certainly not going out on weeknight and of course weekends before exams are always spent studying, but I keep up with my hobbies and have a girlfriend and all, so its not too bad. Biggest time sink ever is pretending to study while staring at my fish tank. :D Cheers, Jacob