PDA

View Full Version : fine bubbles in my tank

teddyted
01/14/2003, 06:17 PM
i have a fish only clarity plus flatback hex tank with an I.F.S. filtration system. the tank came with a hagen powerhead 802 return pump that's constantly blowing fine bubbles back into the tank. the tank's been up and running for about six months. someone please tell what to do to get rid of the bubbles.

DgenR8
01/15/2003, 06:31 AM
Hi Ted,
[welcome]

I have to first ask the obvious, does the powerhead have a tube connected to it near the outflow?

teddyted
01/15/2003, 12:25 PM
yes, there is a tube connected just before my outflow and it goes over to the chamber of my protein skimmer.

SeanT
01/15/2003, 12:36 PM
teddyted,
That tube is sucking air into your powerhead which is in turn shooting it into your tank.
Either plug the tube up, remove it, or remove it and cap the hole on the powerheads nozzle (preferred).
That should stop the microbubbles...provided that is the only place they are coming from.

DgenR8
01/15/2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by teddyted
yes, there is a tube connected just before my outflow and it goes over to the chamber of my protein skimmer.

Sean is correct, that tube is pulling air, and mixing it with the water the power head is pumping.
I'm just not sure yet that removing it is the next step. Why is the tube connected to your protein skimmer, what purpose does it serve?

teddyted
01/15/2003, 09:07 PM
my protein skimmer in no more than an air pump attached to an air stone. it is located in the last chamber of my I. F. S. filtration system. that extra tube supplies the water to that chamber.