PDA

View Full Version : Need advise, Green algae everwhere

Dlckwood
01/14/2003, 06:14 PM
What is the best way to get rid of the algae that has grown so much in the last few days. It is growing so fast and thick my inverts cant eat it fast enough. :confused:

onefastmax
01/14/2003, 06:28 PM
turn off the lights for a few days and use a phsphate remover in conjunction with a good water change. Get it under control quick or it will drive you crazy....

Alan

Mandoman
01/14/2003, 06:52 PM
If it's really bad, you may want to consider scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush. But, that's hell on the other life on the rocks.

Also, try to find out why the algae bloom happened. Was there a sudden, dramatic increase in food, ie phosphates, nitrates? Algae is a symptom of too many nutrients in the water.

How old is the tank? Do you have a skimmer? Do you overfeed? (I have that tendency!) A refugium is a good nutrient sink.

Good luck, Steve

Dlckwood
01/15/2003, 12:06 AM
I feed the fish once a day. Is that too much? I only feed what they can eat. If it is what is the recomended amount of times to feed.

Mandoman
01/15/2003, 05:11 PM
I think feeding is an individual thing. I feed lightly twice a day. Some people feed everyother day. Depends on the fishes needs.

The trick is not to overfeed because the excess pollutes the tank.