PDA

View Full Version : New T5 lighting easy ques

pufferuk
01/14/2003, 12:34 PM
i am quite new to reefkeeping but have done my reserach. but 1 thing i was wondering is that i am going to have a 3 feet tank. How does this work

1. Do T5 units fit under normal metal hood OR do they fit onto the glass without a hood

2. IS there a certain height the unit has to be above the water?

thx a lot
:)

Asbjorn
01/14/2003, 01:11 PM
They can be mounted just like any other fluorescent tube, however the T5's really shine when they are fitted with a specular (mirror finish) parabolic reflector (1 per bulb) that is kept clean and free from salt spray.

Height will depend on your setup, do you have a top on your tank? Typically lower is better as long as you can keep them dry and avoid salt spray.

I hope that helps.

slipknottin
01/14/2003, 01:17 PM
I would keep them at least 3" off the surface, as there are no water-proof endcaps avaliable yet.

pufferuk
01/14/2003, 01:23 PM
currently i dont have a top on my tank becuse i dont no what light to use but anyway

could i mount the T5 tubing like this

oppions appreciated

thx all :)

pufferuk
01/14/2003, 02:15 PM
could u mount like this becuse i have seen it done before with provided equip but didnt no if it's ok

p.s there is no normal hood

pufferuk
01/14/2003, 02:16 PM
SRY FILE NOT UPLOADING!!!!!!!!!!

ill try to explain best i can

at each end of the tank u put some clips on that raise the units bout 3-5 in above the water level with no hood is this ok