PDA

View Full Version : "reef safe"?

piranha007
01/14/2003, 10:04 AM
what does it mean if a fish is not "reef safe?" is the great clown trigger a "reef safe" fish? why or why not? will the reef eat a fish that is not "reef safe?"

MalHavoc
01/14/2003, 10:09 AM
it's the other way around. A fish that isn't "reef safe" will eat your reef :)

Most trigger fish are not reef safe (altough there are exceptions, like the pinktail trigger, the niger trigger, and the crosshatch trigger).

The clown trigger is a nasty fish. They are not reef safe, get really big, and are quite agressive towards other fish.

SeanT
01/14/2003, 10:12 AM
FWIW:
I have always considered the term "Reef Safe" to mean that the animal (be it fish, invert or otherwise) that you introduce into your tank, if properly fed, will not eat or harm any of the other inhabitants of your tank whether they be fish, coral or invert.

NorthCoast
01/14/2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by piranha007
what does it mean if a fish is not "reef safe?" is the great clown trigger a "reef safe" fish? why or why not? will the reef eat a fish that is not "reef safe?"

Generally, Reef Safe means that the fish is "safe" to keep in the reef tank - not for the fishes safety but for the more delicate reef inhabitants. In a reef tank, fish are usually at the top of the food chain, moreover, triggers can be more agressive than a lot of other fish. Therefore, triggers as a group are not considered "reef safe" and will make a meal of anything that they desire. These fish are really interesting and will usually get to "pet status" with their owners, however, they can (and often do) pose problems for other less agressive reef inhabitants when the triggers get larger.

Later,
NC

SeanT
01/14/2003, 10:34 AM
I remember reading a good thread on this subject awhile back.
Took a few minutes but I found it.
Here is the Reef Safe Thread. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109462&highlight=reefsAFE)

Russ
01/14/2003, 10:53 AM
So, while we're on this topic... I know angelfish aren't reefsafe in general, but what about the dwarf angels? I'm thinking about getting a flame angel, but not if it's going to nip at my corals.

GARFVolunteer
01/14/2003, 11:00 AM
Flame Angels are kind of hit and miss. Some will nip at clam mantles, sps corals, and feather dusters etc and others won't.

I feel lucky because mine just picks at the reef not the corals or feather dusters. I haven't bought a clam because I don't want to chance him picking at it.

Scott

NorthCoast
01/14/2003, 11:03 AM
I have a Potter's Angel (almost 5 years now) and it is fine with corals. It does like to pick at sponges, however, I can live with that.

Many people report that they do well in a reef, but, every fish (and tank) is unique. Just be prepared to return to fish or give up certain corals. In my case it was only colorful sponges... :D

Later,
NC

Russ
01/14/2003, 11:05 AM
Hmm... but... If I ever plan to keep clams, then the flame angel would go after them for sure, right?

Russ
01/14/2003, 11:08 AM
How about a Coral Beauty Angel (Centropyge bispinosus)... Between the Flame Angel & Coral Beauty, which is less like to annoy inverts?

If you couldn't tell, I'm thinking about adding another fish.

SeanT
01/14/2003, 11:13 AM
I have a Coral Beauty Angel and all she does it nip at the pods on the rocks.

slimytadpole
01/14/2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Russ
Hmm... but... If I ever plan to keep clams, then the flame angel would go after them for sure, right?

Not for sure. It really depends on the individual. Some flame angels do, some don't. dwarf angels do have a stronger tendency to go after fleshy LPS (open brains, trumpet corals) than other types of corals.

As for the coral beauty/flame angel question, it seems that they are equally likely to be a problem. When in doubt, don't get a creature that may be a problem.

Also, "reef-safe" isn't just a term for fish. The chocolate chip starfish isn't reef safe, either.

GARFVolunteer
01/14/2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Russ

It is hit and miss with flame angels and clams. Some will pick on clams some won't. I just don't want to take the chance with mine being one that does.

Coral Beauties can also be hit and miss. GARF has one that will pick on SPS corals if they get stressed and a couple that don't. A buddy has one that doesn't bother anything.... Good luck :)

Scott

Nravin
01/14/2003, 01:00 PM
I have Flame angle and she has never nipped at any of my LPS,SPS, softies or clams. She does eat pest anenomies(sp) and keeps the blue damsel devil in check.

NorthCoast
01/14/2003, 01:10 PM
Russ you may want to look at the Potter's Angel, it is one of the better behaved dwarf angelfish. http://northcoast.smugmug.com/photos/3855/3855-Medium.jpg It is also a very nice fish to look at, plus everyone either has a Flame or a Coral Beauty? ;)

later,
NC

SeanT
01/14/2003, 01:20 PM
NC is an Angelfish Elitist! :D

NorthCoast
01/14/2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by SeanT
NC is an Angelfish Elitist! :D
I resemble that comment! :D

Later,
NC

Russ
01/14/2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks NC... That's one cool fish! :)

piranha007
01/15/2003, 03:48 AM
but is it possible for a reef to eat a fish? I was at the LFS the other day and I saw a clown knife caught up in the tentacles of a sea anemone. wasn't sure if he was getting killed or was just getting a massage LOL.

MalHavoc
01/15/2003, 07:44 AM
well, anemones will eat things that are reef safe, too. Just ask one of my old peppermint shrimp about it. Oh, wait - you can't anymore, because he was eaten! :)

A reef all by itself won't normally eat a fish. It's the stuff living on the reef that may do it.