PDA

View Full Version : glass or acrylic?

piranha007
01/14/2003, 10:00 AM
i heard that acrylic aquariums shouldn't be used for saltwater tanks. can anybody verify this?

MalHavoc
01/14/2003, 10:11 AM
lots of people use acrylic for salt water aquariums. You just need to be careful around it, because it can scratch quite easily.

NorthCoast
01/14/2003, 10:31 AM
Acrylic is used most often in very large aquariums and custom applications; although, acrylic aquariums are readily manufuctured in most popular sizes. It is lighter and can be shaped more esily than glass. It is often clearer than glass (most glass has a tint to it), however, it is more easily scratched then glass.

Later,
NC

Rob Schwartz
01/14/2003, 02:58 PM
Boy I hope that Acrylic can be used for Saltwater because I've got a 60 gal Uniquarium Reef ready that has been up and running for quite a while now!!

I can tell you from personal experience that I like the acrylic for a vaiety of reasons:

1. Phsycologically it makes me feel more comfortable since it is molded and has fewer seems that could possibly leak.

2. It's incredibly light and easy to move when empty

3. It's clear and offers great viewing with the rounded corners (Makes cleaning difficult though)

Now, all that being said, I gotta tell you that my next tank will probably be glass! I like the scratch resistance and cleaning is much easier.

Glass is also much cheaper than acrylic. Scratching wise, we do have problems although we are very careful and we use a scratch removal kit. We always seem to have little nicks though, especially when moving rock around.

Good luck,

Rob

CJ31
01/14/2003, 03:42 PM
Acrylic is definitely saltwater safe. I would get the tank from a well known manufacturer, since there are others who make them from lower grade acrylics.

If it is less than 180, I would go with glass. The glass is cheaper and easier for all the reasons stated above. Over 220 I would go with acrylic since the cost becomes similar, and the acrylic is way lighter and easier to drill, etc.

Just remember that acrylic must be supported completely underneath, not just at the edges like most glass tanks.

goofball310
01/14/2003, 04:02 PM
Acrylic is perfectly safe for saltwater aquariums.
They also allow 98% of light to penetrate through it. Which is significantly higher than glass. To acheive the same affect from glass, you would need to pay more for starphire glass.

Siddroww
01/14/2003, 04:04 PM
I will agree that glass is easier to maintain but you cannot beat the clarity of acrylic .

What you probably have heard is they are not good for reef tanks , mainly because acrylic + Rock = scratches .

dgasmd
01/14/2003, 04:35 PM
I ahve a 360 gal acrylic tank. Once you go beyond a 180 tank, I can't possibly see why in the world would anyone want to get anything but acrylic. Just my opinion.
Yes, they can be safely used in saltwater set ups. Mine is a reef.