PDA

View Full Version : What is this Stuff ?

NewJack
01/14/2003, 03:09 AM
My tank is 5 1/2 weeks into the cycle period. At about the 2 week period my tank was full of dust sized particles floating all around. It cleared up in about a week (no reason why). Now its back. My tank has developed some red algae. Could these be related. I currently have: 55 gallon tank: crushed coral substrate.
Water paramaters are currently PH 8.2 Salinity 1.021 Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 Amonia 0.

Any help is appreciated.

cj7jeep81
01/14/2003, 10:58 AM
Not sure about the dust sized particles (maybe diatoms???). Is the red algae covering the sand and rocks, but not the glass? What is the consistency of it? Can you pull it out by hand? Is it kinda slimey? If so, my guess would be cyano. For either type, you need to try to reduce your nutrient load. What type of water do you use (tap, RO, RO/DI, etc.)? What type of skimmer are you using? Also, how much flow do you have in your tank? The best cure I have found (and others also) is to increase you water flow in the problem areas. If you can aim a powerhead in the general direction of the cyano, it will help. Just manually remove it from the tank, add some powerheads, and it shouldn't come back. At least it didn't for me.