PDA

View Full Version : Watchin Critters at night

bangbang
01/14/2003, 01:56 AM
How do ya all watch your critters when the lights go out?

TragicMagic
01/14/2003, 02:20 AM
bangbang,

From what I read, fish can not see the red spectrum of light, so either rig up some red lights under your hood, or get a flashlight with a red bulb.

Tony

lllosingit
01/14/2003, 02:24 AM
I use a flashlight with red Reynolds plastic wrap over the end.

dc
01/14/2003, 09:44 AM
A Brinkman Rebel flashlight is about the best. Comes with colored lens caps. My critters are so use to it, I don't really need the lens anymore.:D

dwall174
01/14/2003, 08:02 PM
Has anyone tryed the 13 watt PC RED LIGHT (http://www.hellolights.com/13wretrokit.html) from Hello Lights? I'm thinking of getting a couple for my 65 GAL? Do you think that 2 would be good for night watching?:smokin:

captexas
01/14/2003, 09:12 PM
Some of the mini Mag-Lights and similar flash lights come with different colored lenses (orange, blue, or red ). I read somewhere that blue is supposed to work the best for underwater, but I've never tried it and don't know if the livestock would be bothered by it or not. As stated earlier, red usually doesn't affect them. I just use my mag-light with the red lens and it works fine.

Some people use rope lighting for their night time lighting on their tank. You could try some blue or red rope lighting and see how that works. Probably cheaper as you can get it at Wal-Mart or Home Depot.