PDA

View Full Version : How am I doing?

clownchic
01/13/2003, 11:32 PM
After being in "freshwater" for many years, I recently converted my small 25 gallon tank to marine. I realize this is small, but it's a start. I just wanted to check and see if my equipment, corals, and fish all jive with one another and I'm treating them well. I'm very open to criticism, otherwise I'll never learn.

Tank up and running 6 months:
25 gallon All-glass Black Seal aquarium
crushed coral substrate
130 watt JBJ PC (65 W 10K daylight, 65 W 10K actinic blue) with flip top stand legs (no glass on top of tank - open)
1 Remora protein skimmer (currently only running this 12 hours every other day)
3 powerheads (MaxJet 900 - bottom left & bottom right aiming forward, Mini Jet - middle center aiming forward, ZooMed Power Sweep - top left corner aiming diagonally across tank)
1 Magnum Power 350 Power Filter (in cabinet) tube in tank - upper right corner aiming diagonally across tank)
Red Sea Wavemaster Pro (set on reef/random setting)
Lighting timers set (daylight from 7-7, actinic 2-6)

45 lbs of Figi live rock
2 small percula clowns (have had for 3 months)
1 green chromis (starter fish - 6 months)
1 royal gramma (1 month)
1 toadstool leather (2 months)
1 sinularia finger leather (2 months)
1 candy coral (1 month)
1 encrusting gorgonian (1 month)

Schedule:

I've been changing 4 gallons once a week using Instant Ocean and RO/DI water. I add the following supplements once a week with the water change (1 capful of each) SeaChem reef plus, SeaChem reef complete, SeaChem reef calcium. I currently am not feed the coral anything extra. I feed the fish frozen brine, frozen Ocean Nutrition VHP, or Omega One Marine Flakes once a day. Usually flake, frozen, flake, frozen, etc. Other readings: ph 8.2, ammonia - 0, calcium - 400, nitrite & nitrate - 0, temp. 76-79 (I don't use a heater anymore because it really never came on).

Everything seems to be doing well but I really want to learn what's the right way and what's best. Everything I've done is simply from what I've read on the internet and in books. I've recently found a LFS that is very helpful and knowledgeable.

My biggest concern is knowing how much is too much? Please give me any suggestions.

Thanks much - Clownchic

Im Lon 2
01/14/2003, 01:38 AM
1st thing 1st Welcome to Reefcentral!!:wavehand:

I think you are doing Great!!

I believe you have plenty filtration

Just a few comments..

Your calcium could be a little higher 400 is the min. you want.
I would run the heater and try and make it maintain a temp from 79-82° I run mine at 80°. But the main thing is to try and Maintain one temp.

I did not understand
Lighting timers set (daylight from 7-7, actinic 2-6)

Are you running daylight 7am-7pm and actinic 2pm to 6pm?
If so I would set the Actinc to come on a half hour before your daylights and a half hour after you daylights go off. This giving you the dawn and dusk.

Just my $0.02

slimytadpole
01/14/2003, 03:22 AM
Well, since you said that the 25G tank is a "start", then I would swich to a fine-gained sand if you upgrade tanks. However, since everything seems to be running fine now, I wouldn't bother changing substrate in an already establiished tank.

Considering water displacement, you're probably changing about 25% of your water weekly. That may be on the high side, but as long as you're careful about matching the temp and salinity of the new water, you shouldn't shock any of your tank's inhabitants. And you probably have excellent water quality.

I'd up the tank temp, as Imlon2 suggested. Even if you don't, I'd still suggest a heater. A 25G tank without a heater could lose a lot of heat over night, should you get a cold night.

You didn't mention your salinity, but most people at RC keep theirs around 1.024 or so. Some LFS's and older books suggest 1.020, but 1.024 at 82 degrees is much closer to the natural conditions of most creatures in the hobby.

rlp
01/14/2003, 03:30 AM
There's more than one right way & everyone has their own opinion as to what that is. I think you are doing great also...taking it slow, observing & researching. As to your question of how much is too much...I think your fish population is pretty much maxxed but if you want more fish, I would recommend a yellow clown goby or a pair of neon gobies. These fish would add very little bioload, would stay near the top filling that niche in the water column, are very colorful & have interesting behavior. Rita

Q-ball
01/14/2003, 08:35 AM
Pretty much what's been said...it sounds like you've got a nice setup there & have a fairly decent idea of what you're doing already. If it were my tank, I'd change a few things: Up the temp to 80-82, ditch the crushed coral for a fine-grain sandbed, and I'd probably stop using all the additives. I'm not saying you should, simply things that I do differently with my tanks. With a tank so small, I'm not sure a fine-grain sandbed would be much more beneficial anyhow. The only additive I use is lime-water. I also agree that your water-change schedule may be a little aggressive, but then again that's not necessarily a bad thing either as long as you match temp & salinity when you do them. It sounds like your critters are all happy, and that's really the bottom line to me. Happy critters make for a happy reefer:) Good luck, &
[welcome]

Q!!!

clownchic
01/14/2003, 05:30 PM
It's so nice to have a place to ask questions. Books are informative but not very responsive to specific questions. I will put my submersible heater back in and set it 79 degrees. Winter is just kicking in here in Missouri so I will probably need the heat to help maintain temperatures.

Imlon - You're lighting assumption was correct. I'll try resetting my timers so the actinic come on earlier.

My salinity is 1.024 and seems to stay pretty constant. I will back down on my water changes. I've had discus for many years and just got in the habit. Do I need to run my skimmer more since I'm not doing water changes as frequently? I'll keep testing the water and checking to keep things at 0 (that should be, of course).

Do you count SPS, soft corals, LPS in your "load" like fish? This issue is confusing to me. I don't want to overpopulate my tank.

I really appreciate all of the comments. I enjoy my fish and corals and just want them to be happy and healthy. I also want my inhabitants to all "get along". I really enjoy them.

Thanks again!

Clownchic