PDA

View Full Version : Sump Help

rardijoh
01/13/2003, 07:15 PM
Where and how do you deceide the design on a sump. The more I read, the more confused I get. I need serious help here. THis is the only thing I have left.

Thanks you

72 gallon Bowfront tank

Rob Schwartz
01/13/2003, 07:31 PM
Have you searched on Reef Central under the title of sumps? When I was planning mine I saw quite a few designs and ideas this way. Also the Do it Yourself section had a variety of plans and explanations. A few of them were really simple and CHEAP!

Good luck,

Rob

edwardlmarshall
01/13/2003, 09:25 PM
I built a sump for my 72g bowfront using just a 20g high aquarium, 2 cut pieces of glass (cut for me at Home Depot), and 100% silcone sealant. The partitions rise 2/3 the height of the sump, so when the pumps are turned off, the water cannot rise past the top of the sump. There is a simple PVC drain into the 1st chamber, DSB and LR in the second, and the return pump in the 3rd. The skimmer pump is also in the 1st chamber and the skimmer sits in the 2nd (on PVC legs anchored in the sand). This is a simple but effective design. You could really vary it in anyway you want - more or fewer chambers, etc. More importantly, the sump itself cost less than $40 to build.

reefsinker
01/13/2003, 10:13 PM
What service would you like the sump to perform? Deciding that will go a long way towards making your decision or getting input from others who have struggled with this same question.