PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know much about sharp-nose puffers?

RLiu818
01/13/2003, 06:39 PM
I cant find much information on them. Im wondering if they can go into my 10 gallon aquarium.

Also, do sharp-nose puffers eat invertebraes? I kno a majority of puffers do but i was wondering if sharp-nose puffers do as well because i plan on keeping a cleaner shrimp in there.

Paul B
01/14/2003, 03:23 PM
Sharp nose puffers will eat inverts and anything else they can catch. They will nip at fish and eat them if they are slow enough. They seem to be very intellegent and are fun to watch they also are long lived. I always had one in my fish only but only small ones. It may eat your shrimp but not if the shrimp is as big as the puffer. They love crabs, small mussels, small snails and worms but they will eat flakes.

michon
01/14/2003, 07:04 PM
I know puffers are supposed to eat everything, but I had a valentini puffer (aka blacksaddled toby) for a long time and he never touched my crab, snails, or feather dusters. He ate my live rock but the crab was much more destructive, he eventually ate the snails, the feather dusters and some other fish before the eel got a hold of him while he was molting:eek: That whole tank came to an end one saturday morning when it sprung a leak, I came home to find saltwater all over the carpet, tried to save the inhabitants but my lfs would not house them for me and they died in the filtered tank that I tried to set up in a hurry.:(
anyway
Generally they will eat everything, like paul said, and because they eat so much, they put more of a strain on the filter system or so I have read.
But I really enjoy them too and will eventually get one for my fo tank
sorry for the novel

shannon
135g FO
55g (resealed) reef

Paul B
01/15/2003, 07:52 AM
Puffers are wierd fish, they have personalities and each fish is different. I had a figure eight puffer for about twelve years and he did not bother anything then I got another one and he ate everything. I see sharpnose puffers in the Caribbean they are fairly common and they live alone. They are also thinkers, they will sit on the bottom and rest then go about turning over shells and blowing water into the sand to find worms.

NorthCoast
01/15/2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by RLiu818
I cant find much information on them. Im wondering if they can go into my 10 gallon aquarium.

Having kept one for two years (prior to returning) I can say from experience that I agree with the above. I would not kept one in a 10 gallon tank. This fish will really need a little more room as it grows.

Later,
NC