PDA

View Full Version : Adding Aragamax to tank?

Reefrunner262
01/13/2003, 05:26 PM
I want to add about 30 pounds of aragamax to my already established tank. im worried about the clouding issue thugh. The reason for this is because when i first added it to the tank it was cloudy for 5 days.. This sand isnt living (i dont think) so could i rinse it with tap water? WHAT DO I DO?!?! any suggestions?

THANKS VERY MUCH!
Travis

Im Lon 2
01/13/2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Reefrunner262
I want to add about 30 pounds of aragamax to my already established tank. im worried about the clouding issue thugh. The reason for this is because when i first added it to the tank it was cloudy for 5 days.. This sand isnt living (i dont think) so could i rinse it with tap water? WHAT DO I DO?!?! any suggestions?

THANKS VERY MUCH!
Travis

IMO - I agree with you that the sand is not live. That being said why not buy a cheep sand other than the Aragamax.

As far as not starting a sand storm try using one of these Options

1. If you have an extra piece of PVC pipe you could but the sand in that then lower it down to the sand bed and slowly let it flow out of the PVC pipe.

2. I used a cleaned out 2 liter soda bottle and cut the bottom off of it then I put the cap back on and filled it with the sand. Then slowly put the 2 liter bottle in the tank letting it fill with your tanks water once again slowly. once you have it full unscrew the cap and the sand will slowly flow out of the bottle.

How big is your tank? How long has it been set up? Do you have live Rock/Sand in there now? If yes to the last question I think I would add a little sand over a period of time. That way it does not kill your existing Live sand, else you have a big tank and the 30 lbs of sand is only going to = less than a 1/4" More.

Hope this Help and good luck

gregmoeck
01/13/2003, 08:05 PM
"1. If you have an extra piece of PVC pipe you could but the sand in that then lower it down to the sand bed and slowly let it flow out of the PVC pipe. "

i do that too ! it works ok. I just lower the pvc pipe down to where i want the sand and use a funnel or piece of folded up paper. I pour the dry sand down the pipe. I just add probably a hand full per month.

Reefrunner262
01/14/2003, 01:09 AM
i have a 55 gallon AGA tub (pretty much a cube).... yea i bought all the stuff like tank 30 lbs of sand cuz they were out and other various things,(im 15) and went on christmas vacation with a friend.. I wasnt through buying the sand still wanted around 60- 90 lbs... I came back to find my tank set up and running! I glanced to my mom and she was full of pride... Dont want to hurt her feeling buy tearing it apart so needed some ideas! Thanks ill try the PVC Pipe idea! do you let the top part stick out of the water and pour it in from there? Thanks again!

Travis

Reefrunner262
01/14/2003, 01:18 AM
O yea, forgot! I do have 45 lbs of Fiji LR. Im sorry i dont know what IMO or BUMP means... LOL I guess ill try the PVC way! So dont rinse it out? I get the ARAGAMAX from my friend around 10 dollars every 30 lbs so im set there. My friend ,lets call him paul, thinks i should use a little extra help because im young in this hooby so he gives me the hook ups! The tank has been set up since Jan. 1 She said. Its already half way through the cycle or almost finished. The rock came out of my other tanks my 29 gal and the 220 gal. Hmmmm i have a pic of my tank around here some where.. its In The DFWMAS forums... Well thanks for the helpful hints and info!

Travis

Im Lon 2
01/14/2003, 01:24 AM
No you don't have to rinse it out it will be fine. My LFS use it and he says it helps speed up the cycle. If this is true or not I don't know.

Glad I could help:D

gregmoeck
01/14/2003, 02:31 AM
I let the end of my PVC pipe stick out of the water and funnel the dry sand in. Once I get some in the pipe I stop pouring and start lifting the pipe real slow. All the sand will start coming out of the bottom real slow and just cloud a tiny bit.

Sometimes the pipe gets clogged so you have to lift it out of the water.

Keep in mind my pipe is 1/2 or less I think so I am only adding a handful at a time. If you are doing large amounts try putting a bunch of sand in a zip lock back. Lock it > Lower it to the bottom of your tank and open zip lock slowly and pour..

Have fun.