PDA

View Full Version : Florida live sand

bori
01/13/2003, 01:47 AM
Hello again,
I'm looking to seed my South Down DSB w/ some live sand. I saw this Florida Live sand from etropicals.com (http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=44&pCatId=1360) Has anyone used it in their tanks? How good was it? Does it have the texture of South Down or will it look like 2 different sands? & does it contain any critters? If so, what?
Also do I just add it as a top layer or should I "mix" it together w/ the existing 4". Thanks. --Rob-

DgenR8
01/13/2003, 06:38 AM
Rob,
If you're looking to buy live sand, and you want somethin that will match your Southdown bed, go to www.BillsReef.com
He cultures his own live sand, starting with, you guessed it, SOUTHDOWN! He also operates right here on Long Island, so you don't have to pay/wait for shipping. Bill's a great guy, and will likely offer to meet you part way (He's WAY out on the north fork)
OR, you could just join a club and trade sand with a few folks, before you know it, you will have a live sand bed. Downside to that is the possibility of getting someone else's pests with their sand. Flatworms for instance can be introduced to your tank that way.
I trust Bill's stuff to be free of pests.

bori
01/13/2003, 12:51 PM
OR, you could just join a club and trade sand with a few folks, before you know it, you will have a live sand bed. Downside to that is the possibility of getting someone else's pests with their sand. Flatworms for instance can be introduced to your tank that way.
Hi Larry, that's one of the reasons I've been reluctant to go that route.

If you're looking to buy live sand, and you want somethin that will match your Southdown bed, go to www.BillsReef.com
To tell you the truth, I went to the web site & was about to put in a small order from Bill's Reef, until I saw what the shipping costs were, almost 3x's the cost of my order. I Didn't think to pick it up myself. I'll keep him in mind when I'm ready to order. As always, thanks for the input. --Rob--