PDA

View Full Version : Dragonets and a Refugium?

buggle
01/13/2003, 01:43 AM
I've just recently set up a 55 gallon FOWLR. Just about ready to add some real fish to the tank. Not too sure what I want in the beginning, but I'll eventually want a Mandarin. I've read that these guys need alot of room and also eat ALOT. So I was wondering if I would need a refugium for the copepods to reproduce in order to provide an adequate food source for the Mandarin. I will probably just have a refugium anyway for macro algae. So here are my questions:

1. Is my tank big enough for a Mandarin?
2. Would I definitely need a refugium?
3. I have an AquaClear 500, would that suck up all the copepods?
4. I would like a DIY refugium, probably a 10 gallon UNDER my 55 gallon. Anyone know of a way to make one that would allow me to get the copepods back to the tank without killing too many? Is it even possible? If you have plans for me on making the refugium, please bear in mind that I am an IDIOT when it comes to all of the plumbing and lingo. I don't have that much money either, so money is a concern.
5. Has anyone tried the CPR hang on refugium? That's an option but I wouldn't be able to see anything in the refugium since it will be practically against the wall.
6. Last question, I've read that refugiums are good for nutrient export, what does that mean and is it only good for reef tanks?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm really, really new to all of this but very excited. Thanks in advance.

Buggle

David P
01/13/2003, 10:00 AM
Mandarins are hard to keep because they only eat pods. If your going to have a chance with that small of a tank Yes you do need a fuge. Make as big of a fuge as possible. Have water come in first area, over or under a partition to the main fuge, over another divider into the return area(submersible pump or bulkhead) put in macro algae, as it grows it "eats" the nutrients(like a natural skimmer). Fuges will benifit any tank. I like the idea of the hang on fuge, water is pumped in and water falls out. I dont know if they are big enough to do any good...
I have a pair of red lipped blennies (they are dragonets like the mandarin) in my 60, these guys move and look like the mandarin(not a colorfull though) but these guys eat dry food and love frozen mysis.

xeon
01/13/2003, 12:39 PM
I think your setup with a productive refugium would support a Dragonette. I don't know the effectiveness of a 10 gallon for sure, but more is always better. You also probably don't won't to introduce a competitor for pods, such as a six-line wrasse. I would also let the pod population establish before purchasing the Dragonette.

Since money is a concern and you are worried about killing some pods, then an above tank refugium might be your best bet. That type of system pumps water in and allows the drain back into the tank to be device free and gravitational, somewhat more pod friendly. I have read some reports that impellars have little effect on overall mortality of pods though. Some will get wacked but certainly not all. Personally, I want more volume for a refugium than a CPR hang-on fug will give me.

To save money and get more bang for your buck you can buy a Rubbermaid storage box from Wal-Mart to use as a refugium. This allows you to get more volume for less $'s. It isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing though IMHO. I have also seen some budget minded Power Compact lighting fixtures at hellolights.com. I will be adding one for my system, but it will be below my tank off of my drain and empty into my sump pump chamber going back to my tank.

As far as design ideas, you can probably search this forum and the DIY forum and turn up a bunch. Then you can take those plans and fit them so they may fit your situation, or at least that's what I've done. You might even think about a sump/refugium combo, again more water volume is better. Good Luck!