PDA

View Full Version : storing salt

fuzzman
01/12/2003, 11:21 PM
what do you guys store your salt in? i don't buy it in the big buckets because i am only running a nano but what should i store my salt in after i open the bag? any good ideas out there? i just hate ti watch it turn into a big hard block and become unusable.

Nagel
01/12/2003, 11:44 PM
Go to Home Depot and grab a $5 bucket and a lid. Just make sure you put the salt in an airtight container and you'll be ok. It gets hard cause it absorbs moisture from the air

DgenR8
01/13/2003, 06:27 AM
It' cheaper to buy salt in the bucket, with a lil' nano, you could probably get the rest of your life on one or two buckets, and then you have an air tight container to store salt in, that already has a label on it, so you know what's in it!

Im Lon 2
01/13/2003, 11:11 AM
I have another question to had to the storage of salt. I have also heard that leaving the Plastic measuring cup in the salt also cause the salt to get hard. Is this true?

DgenR8
01/13/2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Imlon2
I have also heard that leaving the Plastic measuring cup in the salt also cause the salt to get hard. Is this true?

Not unless the cup has water in it! I don't keep salt on hand for long periods, I change out 60 -65 gals weekly, but I leave the cup in the salt. Plastic is inert, I can't see how it could cause salt to harden.