PDA

View Full Version : Something Peculiar...

robk
01/12/2003, 09:36 PM
Hello everybody, I recently started a 55 gallon aquarium. On one of my live rocks (looks like some old "Christmas Tree Worm Rock" in which all of the christmas tree worms died), there is something odd growing on it. The first couple of days after putting the rock in, there would be some bubbles appearing at the holes in the rock. Then, I noticed this milky white substance growing over the rock. This has spread across half of the rock now, and it is milky white in appearance. It is soft (so soft, and yet firm, that I would venture to say that it is some sort of living animal), and hasnt caused any trouble in the aquarium so far. It has some little fingers that protrude outwards, as well as little, clear tubers that stick out some way. At first, I thought that this might be some sort of algae, but it hasnt spread past this rock, and nothing seems interested in eating it. It grew so fast in the first couple of days, however, that I am almost positive that it is not a type of coral. I would almost think that this was some type of sponge? An overall description would be: Size of host rock= 5 inch diameter Size of "thing"= 3 inch diameter Consistency= Soft, yet firm (does not disintegrate or move) Shape= Flat, slimey, with little fingers and tubers extending upward (some that sway with the water) Color= Milky white to clear in some areas. Fish interested= none..... If anyone has any idea what this is, or whether it could be harmful to my aquarium, it would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

-Rob (My digital camera broke, so I do not have a picture of it)

DgenR8
01/12/2003, 10:22 PM
Hey Rob,
[welcome]

It's really tough to ID without the benefit of a pic to look at, but my first thought is you have a sponge.

Pomacanthus1
01/12/2003, 11:40 PM
Welcome!

Sounds very similar to some sponges i have in some of my live rock, except that mine are a solid white. Is the "substance" porous?

David P
01/13/2003, 10:17 AM
I recently bought a porite (christmass tree worm rock) after about a week or two, I noticed a white cottony thing on the side that looked like a spider nest, it has since spread thin milky tendrals over the rock. It seems to come and go at certain times of the day. Is this the same thing you have?

robk
01/13/2003, 05:38 PM
YES! This is EXACTLEY WHAT I HAVE!!!

David P
01/13/2003, 08:31 PM
Ok, now all we need to do is find out what it is...