PDA

View Full Version : More Lighting Questions

jstlsn
01/12/2003, 09:12 PM
First Question. I decided to put two 250 W 10,000K MH bulbs over my 75 Gallon tank. Should I mount the bulbs long ways, or back to front? I have seen both.

Second Question. Since I am on a limited budget, I am purchasing a few parts to my tank every month. Can I start cycling my tank before I install my lights? Unsure if this will cause a problem.

Thanks
Brad

Craig Lambert
01/12/2003, 09:17 PM
They go the long way. One for each 2 ft section. two 250 watt MH is outstanding lighting for a 75G tank. IMO it would be best to augment it with an Icecap 430 ballast, and 2 48" URI Super Actinic VHO bulbs.

Craig

DgenR8
01/12/2003, 10:20 PM
I agree with Craig, just wanted to add that you could cycle successfully in complete darkness. "Cycling" is just growing the necessary beneficial bacteria. If you are cycling with live rock, (my preferred method) you might want to add some light for possible photosynthetic hitch hikers, but it doesn't have to be metal halide.

slipknottin
01/12/2003, 10:27 PM
The MH bulbs can be mounted either way. It doesnt really matter.

It depends alot on the height of the bulb above the water, the reflector, and what size surface area you need it to cover.

musicsmaker
01/12/2003, 11:06 PM
If you are cycling with live rock, (my preferred method) you might want to add some light for possible photosynthetic hitch hikers, but it doesn't have to be metal halide. Agreed. But something does come to mind. The other guys can confirm or deny this. If you can, then go ahead and put whatever light you have on the tank from the get go. Why? To avoid what I refer to as *the lighting upgrade blues*. Many times a reefer will go through a second algae cycle after making a drastic lighting upgrade. Nothing detrimental, just a real PITA. From what I understand certain bacterias, algaes, and other small creatures living on the surfaces in the tank die when exposed to the new + more intense light. Nasties like cyano, dynos, and other algaes will consume the nutrients left behind. Just my $0.02