PDA

View Full Version : Bringing stuff back from Mexico

kevinsparent
01/12/2003, 08:02 PM
Well I'm going to Mexico in February and I read that the hotel we are staying at picks up all the rock and coral on a daily basis to make it easier to get into the water. Does anyone know what the rules are on bringing any of this back?

I don't plan on taking anything that is obviously part of the natural environment - but if I see something interesting rolling around in the surf - I would like to know if I can bring it back through.

Does anyone have any experience or info they can share?

Thanks

MaryHM
01/12/2003, 11:27 PM
Ask this guy Clarionreef@aol.com He's runs a Mexican collection station

Leopardshark
01/13/2003, 12:52 AM
I´m sorry I can´t help you, but if you find something interesting please let me know.
Marco

Leopardshark
01/13/2003, 12:58 AM
I´m sorry I can´t help you, but if you find something interesting please let me know.
Marco

bowfront
01/13/2003, 01:25 AM
I strongly suggest checking with U.S. Customs before trying to cross the U.S/Mexico border with anything live. If you are in violation you are subject to confiscation/fines/arrest. Sorry to sound like a cop because I'm not but I know that there are some tough laws here for unlawfull importation.

kevinsparent
01/13/2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks MaryHM - I wrote to the address that you posted and here is the reply. I'm glad I asked.

Hi Gary,

Steve is in Mexico currently, on a collection trip, but I can answer you're question. All collections/exportations require permits and paperwork. Mexico is filled with paper work that takes years to get thru. I wouldn't even attempt to bring ANYTHING back as it could mean jail time for you(with out papers). You can't take any life with out a permit and with out a permit, you're smuggling. Fisheries, Customs and the Federales all communicate, if one gets a fish question, he'll call fisheries to come over and look it over. We get stopped around 4 times before shipping to the states, which require all import documents from the Mexican government before clearing the shipment. We've been collecting in Mexico since 1978, and we have had a hell of a time with our permit. ALL collection trips of ours are actually a dual trip. We carry a Mexican marine biologist on board and take underwater surveys of all collection spots while collecting. Hope this clears things up for you.

Gresham H
Cortez Marine

Ps. Before working @ Cortez Marine, I had a similar idea as you. I'm glad I met Steve before attempting to bring back livestock as I seen what Mexican jails can do to a person (and their family) :eek1: :eek1:

icebear
01/13/2003, 07:44 PM
Yikes!

Good thing you asked!

john rochon
01/13/2003, 08:06 PM
you cannot bring anything alive or food across the US or CA border.

rbaker
01/13/2003, 08:11 PM
That's the last place I'd want to go to jail...:rolleyes:

Ryan

texasreefer
01/13/2003, 08:21 PM
If you think the paperwork for the government here is bad wait until you try to fill out any for Mexico. We tried to do a job down in Mexico and even their governemnt people had trouble telling us exactly what papers we needed to ship equipment down to Mexico.

rooz69
01/13/2003, 08:25 PM
I just returned from Mexico and talked to a couple people down there, diving instructor and a tour guide about bringing things back across the boarder. They said that it is possible to sneek anything you want across although they didnt recomend it due to enviromental reasions. This is where it gets important..

You shouldnt take things like conch shells, dead washed up coral, or even shells off the beach because all these things may either be a home for another creature, be broken down into sand. The dead coral may one day be washed back into the ocean where it may return to its living form when living organisms move back in. I just think that we as reefs in the hooby owe the enviroment respect and only use what is provided by use by fish suppliers. I know its temping, as I know I was but if everyone goes down there and takes something this is going to lead to problems down the road. I want to insure that there are reefs for many more years to come and so future generations can see it as well. I was also told that if you do try to remove something and take it home and you are caught by customs the thing in which you have taken will be thrown in the garbage not returned to the ocean.

Just a couple thoughts the final decison is up to you.
Josh