PDA

View Full Version : Made rubbermaid sump and introduced millions of bubbles

medik13
01/12/2003, 06:24 PM
I have an 18G rubbermaid sump plumbed to a quiet one pump then to two returns. The returns are into a 75G tank with 75lbs of LR and a 4-5" sandbed. It is returned back to the sump via a lifereef overflow 700gph max. In the sump, sits a huge southbay skimmer 6-1. There is so much turbulance in the sump that the return is pumping too many micro bubbles back into the tank. I have tried everything short of partitions. I have tried numerous placement of the intake tube. I have added elbows in both 45 and 90 degrees. I have raised and lowered the intake tube all through the depths of the water in the sump. What can I do to rid the tank of these bubbles? I thought these rubbermaid containers where the way to go, I am regretting it big time!

Also my skimmer doesn't seem to be skimming at all? Is the water flowing too fast or with too much turbulance for the skimmer?

MalHavoc
01/12/2003, 06:46 PM
Do you have baffles in your sump? Some skimmers produce bubbles, and the only real way to eliminate them is to create a series of baffles that the water has to flow over and under in order to get to your return pump. When you do this, the bubbles get left behind.

Rubbermaid sumps are the way to go in terms of how much they cost and how large they can be, but you sometimes need to modify them to not dump microbubbles in your tank.

Your skimmer might not be skimming because it's still breaking in, or there isn't any real bioload in the tank and it's just not pulling anything out.

medik13
01/12/2003, 07:28 PM
I just read a post on how to stop these micro bubbles from returning back to the tank. There are two options, maybe three.

1. To place the drain into a pitcher or bucket and drill holes into the bucket ofr pitcher. Any ideas on how to do this?

2. put a micron bag over the drain. Any ideas on this?

If I have room, I don't mind adding another smaller rubermaid container and connecting it to the existing rubbermaid container. I would use bulkheads to connect the two (How many bulkheads and what size should they be?), and put the drain into one container and have the skimmer and return pump into the other.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks for the help....