PDA

View Full Version : cleaning crew

liz+russ
01/12/2003, 05:41 PM
Im starting to grow some green algae, I have bubble, I have hair, I have this green film on the glass, and even a little bit of diatom left and I was wondering if my cleaning crew is sufficient.

I have
6 one and a half inch turbo snails
3 three quarter inch astra snails
2 cleaner shrimp

My tank is only 30 gallons and I have 3 small fish, two clowns(inch and a half) and a dottyback(two inches). I have 10 very small soft corals that are all doing well.

these cleaning guys seem to be really good at cleaning diatoms and the green film on the glass, but when it comes to hair and bubble, they dont seem to do anything, so I guess my question is... Should I get more cleaning crew, and if so what? hermit crabs? emerald crab? nasarus snails? Remember im only dealing with a 30 gallon tank.

liz+russ
01/12/2003, 07:06 PM
since no one has answered yet, I have one more question. The snails that I have already create a lot of poop. If I add more algae eating critters now much more will there be, and is there some animals I can add that actually eat this waste?

kmk2307
01/12/2003, 09:08 PM
More cleaners couldn't hurt. Perhaps check out the critters IPSF has available (www.ipsf.com). E-tropicals (www.etropicals.com) also has lots of cleaning crittters (be sure to avoid things that won't get along w/ your shrimp like coral banded shrimp and arrow crabs). Tigertail cucumbers, bristle worms, and nassarious snails would all be somewhat beneficial in removing "debris."

Here's a question, do you use RO/DI water? Do you test the phosphates or nitrates in your aquarium?

Kevin

Pomacanthus1
01/12/2003, 09:19 PM
If i remember right, Dr. Ron said that turbo and astrea snails do not typically eat filamentous algae like hair algae, but rather like you said they prefer the diatoms.

Do a search in Dr. Ron's forum on "algae snails" or "snail algae control" or something like that. I guarantee it will turn up threads with good information in it.