PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Stupid mistake...

moze229
01/12/2003, 05:26 PM
After my recent refug disaster, I removed all of the sand and put in in a bucket which sat in the makeshift sump until I had the new refug ready to go. Well, I poured the sand into the new refug and of course I got the noxious odor smell :) I haven't started the system up yet, becuase I wanted to make sure that this will not hurt the display after adding this to the system. Will it be OK for the fish/coral? The smell was pretty bad. Should I just pitch the sand or let it settle? I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help.

kmk2307
01/12/2003, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't pitch the sand. Add clean saltwater and test the ammonia / nitrites / nitrates. Maybe put an air pump in there and keep stirring up the sand every few hours or so.

Good luck,
Kevin

Mandoman
01/12/2003, 09:29 PM
I agree with Kevin - don't pitch the sand, BUT...

The odor you smell is the bacteria dieing and giving up the nutrients like phosphate, nitrate, and nitrite.

Let the sand settle and don't disturb it anymore! Isolate the fuge, monitor for the impurities and if possible put a skimmer on the fuge for a couple of days. Stirring the sand will continue to kill the anaerobes and we want those guys to stay alive.

Steve

moze229
01/14/2003, 11:37 PM
I forgot to come back and tell you guys thanks for the info. Everything seems to be back to normal. I had very little die off and everything already seems to be coming back to life. Thanks again for your suggestions!!!