PDA

View Full Version : Can I estimate adding in the Marine Salt in the meantime while i wait for my hydro..

RLiu818
01/11/2003, 08:20 PM
Can I estimate adding in the Marine Salt in the meantime while i wait for my hydrometer in the mail.

I am ordering a hydrometer from bigals.com cuz its so much cheaper than petco, plus im geting other stuff from them.

Anyways during this one week period while i wait for my hydrometer, can i add in my aquarium salt and just estimate how much i think i should add? Notice i don't have a hydrometer available for a week so i can not measure the gravity. But i am hoping to use this week to start cycling my tank.

If i am using Instant Ocean salt in my ten gallon tank. How much should I add?

qtip2
01/11/2003, 08:41 PM
Do not estimate! Wait for the hydrometer

RLiu818
01/11/2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by qtip2
Do not estimate! Wait for the hydrometer

Gosh darnit not the reply i wanted to hear but i guess i shouldn't cut corners.

So im going to petco tomorrow and im going to buy the same hydrometer for twice the price.

Whisperer
01/11/2003, 09:04 PM
As long as you have no livestock, you can go ahead with cycling your tank. An approximation is 1/2 cup per gallon of water. Make sure you take into account the live rocks and sand as they take volumes too. For a bare 10 G, mix 5 cups of IO. If you have sand and rocks, estimate the volume they occupy and subtract from 10G. Start your cycle now and adjust the SG/salinity when your hydrometer arrives.

DgenR8
01/11/2003, 09:41 PM
Those plastic hydrometers only give you an estimate on salinity anyhow. I always have to tweak my IO mix, and I use a refractometer.
I thought the plastic box would be sufficient when I first started, until I got my Refractometer. The plastic box was way off.
For fish only, this is less important than if you keep corals.
In either case, I wouldn't just guess at it. At the very least, get the plastic box.