PDA

View Full Version : Is Frozen food that much better than Freeze-Dried?

RLiu818
01/11/2003, 08:17 PM
I am setting up a 10 gallon saltwater tank that will contain two or three beginner's fish.

Is it that important that i go with frozen food or can i get away with freeze dried? Simply because it is so much easier and convenient.

I want your opinions.

Also should i feed as the majority of the fish's diet? I hear brine shrimp alot. The fish i am keeping are gonna probably be one percula, one damsel, and maybe one green-spotted puffer.

RLiu818
01/13/2003, 05:09 AM
anyone?

DgenR8
01/13/2003, 06:03 AM
I never used freezedried foods, I make my own fresh "seafood medly" and freeze it. I don't know of any reason not to use freezedried foods. Brine shrimp is another story, unless it is newly hatched, brine has almost no nutritional value and should be avoided, except as an occasional live treat.

manderx
01/13/2003, 01:15 PM
in my opinion, freeze-dried krill (the only freeze-dried i've used) is only good for soaking up liquid additives like selcon or medicine.

slimytadpole
01/14/2003, 12:41 PM
My fish won't touch freeze-dried foods, but will eat their frozen equivilents.

akabilly
01/14/2003, 12:54 PM
Hey Dgenr8

What is in your "Seafood Medly" ?
Do blend it or just chop it?
Do you freeze it in a big block or like in an ice cube tray?

Thanks for the info.

NorthCoast
01/14/2003, 01:01 PM
I think it is good to have a variety of foods to offer. I think that fresh is better than frozen and that frozen is better than freeze-dried in general.

Later,
NC

DgenR8
01/14/2003, 08:18 PM
I really don't have a set recipe. What goes in depends on how much time and ambition I have when I need a new batch.
I almost always include squid. I get it at the local bait shop, much cheaper than at the fish market. While at the bait shop, I also pick up some silversides (bait shop guys call 'em spearing).
Then I go to the supermarket and/or fish market. I get a filet of this, a steak of that etc. I've found that almost anything goes, with the exception of Conch, & Octopus. I add some dried Nori and freeze in mini ice cube trays. I thaw a single cube in some tank water and Selcon at a time.

ijneb
01/14/2003, 08:35 PM
What is this Selcon stuff?

DgenR8
01/14/2003, 08:54 PM
Selcon is a liquid vitamin supplement.