PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help identify?

amy_2281
01/11/2003, 03:39 PM
I am very new to this reef thing. I bought a large batch of fiji live rock and these have developed all over one of the rocks. I was wondering if anyone might know what they are?And also do they require feeding. One more dumb question I have a feather duster worm what do I feed him and how do I make sure he is still in his tube? Are the "feathers" actually part of the worm?

MalHavoc
01/11/2003, 03:43 PM
first,

[welcome]

I don't think your photo attached, because I can't see what you want to identify.

You don't normally need to feed feather dusters - they filter what they need out of the water.

The feathers are indeed part of the worm. They are it's crown, and are what it uses to filter the water. If you see feathers, the worm is still there.

The opposite may not necessarily hold - feather dusters can eject their crowns when stressed, but they should grow back if the stress is removed.

MalHavoc
01/11/2003, 03:48 PM
Ah, there it is. If you mean the little things up top, they look like white star polyp, a type of soft octocoral. Give them plenty of light and current, and they will thrive.

Chin_monster
01/12/2003, 07:43 AM
daisy polyps/ star polyps. Cool hitch hikers to find on your rocks.