PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new tank

TIdoubleGrrrrr
01/10/2003, 08:30 PM
I am new to this board and I have searched and searched til I can't see anymore. I still have questions....
I am setting up a new tank for my seahorses. This will be a 45 gallon tall for soft corals and my 7 Ocean Rider seahorses. They are in a tank now that has CC and I don't like the lights so we have upgraded. This is where my questions come due to changing to a DSB.
Could not find SD sand so I went with playsand. I added 50 lbs of that. Then I ordered a refugium kit from Dr mac and Sons. So that gave me 5 lbs of live sand and macro. I also ordered from (do I dare say the name) GARF. I know, I know everyone hates them but I like to watch the corals grow and their prices compared to my LFS are great. Anyways, I added 2 lbs of grunge.
Now like I said before, I am moving my SH's from their tank, so the filter (Rena FilStar XP2) is seeded well. This old tank has been set up almost a year. I have roughly 30-40 lbs of live rock in this tank also. I moved a couple rocks over to the new tank already but I don't want to take everything out until I can move the horses too.
I just tested the water and my Ph is 8.6, Ammo is 1.0, trite is .25 and my trate is maybe 10. I just added the live sand and grunge today, along with the 4 rocks. If you really look at this, basically I'm taking the CC out and adding the DSB. It just so happens that it's all getting moved to a different tank.
So with that being said, should I go ahead and move everyone? I don't like the way my water is testing right now but I know that is good. If I did'nt have another tank and I was changing the bed they would be in there now! The problem is I don't have another filter to put on the new tank until I move the SH's. What should I do? What would you do? Will the filter and skimmer catch up with it quickly if I go ahead and put everyone and everything in it? Or should I do a waterchange first, and then move everything? Will the cycle be okay with no filter? Personally I think it needs to get on there soon. Please help. Although I am new to this site, I have a little knowledge. But give it to me straight, please. Thanks for reading my long post and I look forward to any suggestions.
Thanks, Julie
P.S. I have pantyhose ready for my CC to help seed my DSB just waiting for the move too.?.

tendar
01/10/2003, 10:56 PM
I would not put your horses into the new tank until the peramiters are 0 across the board or nitates under 10 and rest zero.
Leave the filter on the old tank for now. You really dont need it on the new tank if it has live rock just place a power head in it for circulation till if finishs cycling.

Move the seahorses now and you take a big chance on killing them with ammonias and nitrites and since the amonia is high and nitrites are low it looks like problably about week till cycle is done.

Nagel
01/10/2003, 11:22 PM
Hello Julie.

First:

[welcome]

Next, hold off. Your ponies will not like the ammonia, and that could be the end of them. You dont need the filter on there for the cycle to run its course, it just speeds the process up. Let the new tank cycle, and when nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrates are low, then do the move.

For seeding the bed with your existing CC, just toss some CC in the pantyhose, tie a knot, and put it in the new tank. Critters will migrate to the DSB, and this will also put some additional bacteria colonies in the new tank to help cycling.

Just have patience, as nothing but disaster comes fast in a marine tank.

TIdoubleGrrrrr
01/11/2003, 08:50 AM
I knew that they would not like the water and I would take a great chance in them dying if I added them right now. I was just wondering what everyone else did with the ammo and trite spike when changing to a DSB with all the critters still in the tank? I do have a PH on there for circulation right now. I'll just leave them be and watch the cycle. I'm really glad I have the other tank for these guys right now. And I'm glad to hear that everything will be fine with the cycle without the filter. As you said, nothing but disaster comes fast in a marine tank!
Thanks again,
Julie