PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae Question?

CA Katonk
01/10/2003, 06:42 PM
I've had my tank up for around a year and been living with hair algae for the majority of it. How do I get rid of it? I know it is due to too many nutrients in the water and have cut my feeding down to every 3 days or so. My lights stay on for 10 hrs a night. The one thing I don't have is a skimmer cause I have a 12g eclipse that comes with a charcoal filter and a bio wheel. Any advice woud be greatly appreciated...

:confused:

Chris5110
01/10/2003, 07:16 PM
Without knowing specifics. Do you test for Nitrate or Phosphate. You could try a phosphate sponge. Macro algae can help. And a protien skimmer will help remove excess nutrients.

ReefGeekster
01/11/2003, 03:12 AM
Also using RO water will help and be careful of frozen foods, they can/will contribute phosphates.

figuerres
01/11/2003, 05:54 AM
give it time to take effect..... if you have reduced the food and modify the lights to say 7-8 hrs then it will take say a month for some of the hair to start to die off, manualy harvest as much of it each week as you can, do lost of water changes to keep pulling phos and nit out of the water along with any other gunk....

figure on giving your self 3-4 months to realy get it under control
weekly work plan to keep "weeding" the tank while you are removing the food it needs....

as you see it decline start rasing the light period a bit and see what happens.... if it bouces back then you still have stuff in the water to feed it.... keep cleaning

DgenR8
01/11/2003, 12:50 PM
See these two threads here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=734777&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending
If the answer to your problem isn't in one of them, I don't know if it exists.....