PDA

View Full Version : new guy...please help

rwesurfn
01/10/2003, 11:31 AM
I am about to purchase my first saltwater tank soon, I can't afford what I want so am going to buy what i can afford to setup properly. I have been browsing the forums for a few months and purchased several good books you all have recommended, have been reading and reading and reading.
I would like to set up a reef tank with LR and DSB, i plan on keeping mostly softies and lps but would like to be set up to do sps as well. Oh yeah....maybe a few fish too. Any way i seem to be having trouble deciding an a tank size I dont feel like i can afford to start with much over a 29 g tank for now. my plan is to start small and move tank to bedroom when i can afford what i want this summer or fall (wife will be outta school and boat will be paid off..woohoo). i have been looking around and kinda like the 28 bowfront, any of you have experience with bowfront tanks....what are your likes and dislikes? I have fairly good carpentry skills so stand and canopy will not be a problem.

or would suggest something else??

thank for all your help

Mike

NorthCoast
01/10/2003, 12:13 PM
First I would like to say:
[welcome]

Second, if you are planning (or thinking about) upgrading prior to your first purchase then I would suggest that you get what you really want. Start putting together everything you will need and want slowly. It usually will cost less in the long run. I know it can be difficult to resist the urge to purchase something now, however, from your post summer (or fall) really is not too far off.

Plan things out and make the purchases when you can more readily afford things. The end result should be more rewarding and possibly not need upgrade too soon.

I like the bow fronts in the smaller tanks and prefer the flat fronts in the larger tanks. In the smaller tanks the bow front can give a greater depth of view.

Keep the questions coming. :D

Later,
NC

Russ
01/10/2003, 04:21 PM
Get the Oceanic Reef Ready 58-gallon... It's a mid size tank that's excellent. The problem with starting small is that at the small end, the cost difference to go up a little more in volume really isn't all that much. Plus, with more water volume, you have the great benifit of greater stability in your water parameters in case you acidentally overdose something. At least don't go smaller than a 29. A 29 is the smallest size tank that a DSB will function properly according to Dr. Ron. I wouldn't risk it, and at least go up to a 40 long. btw-- you can also DIY your hood, stand, and buffer pretty easily to save $$$.

bwoerner
01/10/2003, 04:21 PM
Buy the biggest tank you can afford. If not, you'll wish you had a bigger tank, and end up buying one later.
Also, from what I read, moving things later (From one tank to another) can sometimes cause problems. Not to mention, your wife will want to buy something else. Get started early the right way.
Bill