PDA

View Full Version : What do curly Q anemones eat?

absolut
01/10/2003, 12:17 AM
I recently bought 1 curly Q anemone at the store. I wanted an anemone with my 50/50 actinic bulb which is not strong enough for most, but the store said that the curly Q should do ok granted it is close to the lighting. So far it seems to be doing fine and I have since purchased another because the first seemed to be doing good.
This may be kind of neglegent question, but I never really asked them what to feed it or if I even have to. I tried basting brine down close to thier tentacles but it didn't look like they took any.
Do they just scavenge leftovers, or do they live off things in the water? Any ideas?

Paul B
01/10/2003, 07:56 AM
Curly Q anemones eat fish like all anemones but with Curly Q anemones the food should be small. If you feed them large pieces of shrimp or clam the tentacles will get short. If you feed them small bits and brine shrimp the tentacles will get very long. Yours should have eaten the brine shrimp. They do not always eat when you feed them. Make sure the tentacles are fully extended when you feed. You can feed then once or twice a week and they are not too sensitive about light. I have kept them for years. They sting all other animals so keep them away from corals, mandarin fish, and especially seahorses.

absolut
01/10/2003, 04:12 PM
Good answer! Thanks