PDA

View Full Version : BakPak2 vs PM HOT1

robwsup
01/09/2003, 10:51 PM
I currently have a Bakpak on my 100 gallon system (75 gallon w/ 35 gallon refuge), and I know it is just not enough. How much better does the PM HOT1 skim?

Thanks,
Robert

Techgrad
01/10/2003, 11:14 AM
After reading Ron Shimek's article in Reef Central, I'm not sure skimmers are all they are cracked up to be, especially overskimming. I think you would be better served converting your sump into a refugium and leaving the Bak-Pak as is or removing it. The Bak-Pak does do a good job of supplying the system with oxygen. The oxygen given off by the skimmer and the macroalgea is used by the tank inhabitants who give off carbon dioxide, which is taken up by the macro and oxygen is produced again. I may have stated the obvious there, but many tend to overlook. I keep macroalgea in my main tank and I can put anything in there and it thrives.

Techgrad
01/10/2003, 11:17 AM
Oops, you do have a refuge. Sorry. In that case, just leave the skimmer as is or remove it. I think you will be suprised that removing the skimmer will have no effect, but may actually create a healthier tank. Believe it or not, it appears skimmers remove more good stuff than bad.

sean buehrle
01/10/2003, 11:29 AM
I dont agree with what is said about backpack skimmers, every few days i empty mine out and the stuff its taking out could not be good for any living thing,i would give anyone a crisp 100 dollar bill if they could slug a cupfull of it down and keep it down, if i dont run mine for a few days i get a oil slick on the top of my 30 gal sump,and after running it for a day or 2 the oil film is gone and the cup has collected it. i have noticed that it also removes suspended algae like what grows on the tank glass the green stuff. i have read on here about people going skimmerless with good results,but i dont think i would try it,after seeing what it removes from the water.

beerguy
01/10/2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Techgrad
After reading Ron Shimek's article in Reef Central, I'm not sure skimmers are all they are cracked up to be

I'm sure that many on this board are going to consider me a heretic, but I'm not convinced that "Dr Ron" isn't a quack. I'm not trying to turn this into a bash Ron thread but all too often, in my opinion, he annouces his theories as fact; whether they've been through experimentation or not. He may be a very intelligent guy, but that that is very poor scientific method.

Back to my reply...

I can tell when my skimmer needs cleaning by looking at my tank. I seen increase micro-algae growth, less polyp extension and stress on the fish when it is not working correctly. He may have some valid points, but at least in my tank the benefits appear to out number the flaws.

P.S. If you'd like to flame me about the Dr Ron comment feel free, but please do it via email or PM. :)

Techgrad
01/10/2003, 03:20 PM
I wasn't trying to say ditch the skimmer or else, but it might be worth expirementing with. The guy is an expert, so his findings shoulod at least be considered. My .02

robwsup
01/10/2003, 03:28 PM
Umm... Is there anyone that can answer my question?

I want to use a skimmer, I want to upgrade my skimmer, I am not debating whether a skimmer is good to have or not.

Robert

beerguy
01/10/2003, 03:35 PM
heh - sorry.

I don't believe that the PM HOT1 outperforms your BakPak hardly any, if at all. For that size tank, and the fact that you are apparently looking for a HOT model you really should take a serious look at the AquaC Remora Pro. The've got a great reputation. (My Remore is being delivered today)

beerguy
01/10/2003, 03:36 PM
heh - sorry.

I don't believe that the PM HOT1 outperforms your BakPak hardly any, if at all. For that size tank, and the fact that you are apparently looking for a HOT model you really should take a serious look at the AquaC Remora Pro. The've got a great reputation. (My Remore is being delivered today)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=91955

beerguy
01/10/2003, 03:39 PM
Sorry for the slam on the HOT1, my first query came up with a different skimmer then you were asking about. It appears that it's a decent unit, but I'd still recommend the remora pro.

Hlothran
01/10/2003, 04:45 PM
I really like my Remora PRO and would highly recommend it. I am running it on a 100G and it pulls a nice healthy goo out once a week. Every water change it will pull out about three cups of clear liquid as well.

I am also in the market for a HOT skimmer for a 50G and was considering the Bakpak or the PM, but considering how well the remora pro has worked I will probably just go with another remora.

Hlothran

robwsup
01/10/2003, 04:51 PM
I'm also looking at the Turboflotor Multi.

Robert

Wolverine
01/12/2003, 04:12 PM
I really like the Bakpak II, especially for smaller tanks, but it does not compare to the HOT-1 for skimming. We replaced our bakpak on one of our tanks with a HOT-1, and there was an immediate improvement in the water quality, and an immediate drop in the cyano problem we were battling at the time. Keep in mind that we made no other changes, and are confident that this is directly attributable to the skimmer change.

As for Bakpaks, I do really like having the second chamber for a heater, since I haven't had a sump set up, and this gets it out of the main display.

Dave

moonpod
01/12/2003, 10:55 PM
Have had both a bakpak II and a remora pro--no comparison. Remora pro is MUCH better. Don't know anything about the PM unit.