PDA

View Full Version : Will this work for a 10 gallon nano-reef?

mhmh
01/09/2003, 07:38 PM
I see I can buy an inexpensive 10 gallon tank from my LFS for $11, PCs from AH Supply-the 2x36W Bright kit, including the reflector, is $63. Two of their 10000K/Dark Blue Combo bulbs are $36. A black finished enclosure is $30, or I could make one myself.

Aquaclear powerhead 201 is $12 and EboJager 100W heater is $15, Rena 100 air pump is $15 from Big Al's.

Total of above is $182.

If I need a protein skimmer, and want to keep it outside the tank, this is the cheapest I've seen: an AquaClear 200 filter ($20 @ Big Al's) with a CoraLife Super Skimmer I ($14 @ Big Al's) in the media compartment.

Grand total for all hardware is $216, plus shipping charges.

So, how'd I do?
1) Have I put together a workable setup?
2) Do I need a skimmer?
3) Can I do it cheaper?
4) Can I do it better, but for not too much more $$?

I've posted this on nano-reef.com also. Maybe I'll get some different points of view here.

slimytadpole
01/09/2003, 11:13 PM
I would question the necessity and utility of a skimmer on a tank that size. Don't bother.

You've also left out the cost of sand and rocks, but since you're in NY, you should have no trouble finding Southdown sand ($4.50).

mhmh
01/10/2003, 02:21 PM
I've gotten the advice to ditch the skimmer from other places too. Also that I shouldn't use the blue bulbs from AH Supply, I should get them from Hello Direct. Agree?

Other questions:

Do I need RO/DI water or can I use dechlorinated and salted tap water?

Will I need a glass cover for the aquarium beneath the lights?

Is the Aquaclear 201 enough circulation?

mhmh
01/10/2003, 02:36 PM
I've gotten the advice to ditch the skimmer from other places too. Also that I shouldn't use the blue bulbs from AH Supply, I should get them from Hello Direct. Agree?

Other questions:

Do I need RO/DI water or can I use dechlorinated and salted tap water?

Will I need a glass cover for the aquarium beneath the lights?

Is the Aquaclear 201 enough circulation?

gas4544
01/10/2003, 06:40 PM
The Nano Reefs forum here at Reef Central is a good place to get answers to these questions.

Some people swear by using a small skimmer on a nano tank, others say do not even bother. It depends on what you intend to keep in this tank and how disciplined you will be with making water changes. On my nano tank, I am currently using a Sanders Piccolo in an AquaClear hang-on filter. It is amazing how much junk this little skimmer pulls out. The skimmer vs no skimmer debate has been going on for awhile and will continue indefinitely.

Another small powerhead that works well is a MiniJet. Start out with RO/DI water and continue to use it. This will help to reduce algae problems in the future. If you use a glass cover, make sure to clean it regularly to maximize how much light gets into your tank.

As far as lighting goes, you have many alternatives. It kinda depends on what you plan to keep in the tank and how much money you have to play with.