PDA

View Full Version : NOT for Aquarium use?

Avonlea,PA
01/09/2003, 06:49 PM
I just bought a combination power strip/timer.
It has 4 outlets connected to the timer, and 4 outlets that have constant power. a pic is below.

On the back in small print, it says not for aquarium use. Anybody know why?

I was planning on using it for my fans and MH's.

Maybe it's safe for reefs :)

texasreefer
01/09/2003, 07:12 PM
They do that for liability purposes. That way if it gets wet from being used under the aquaium and something happens they can claim it wasn't used according to their instructions.

Paul B
01/10/2003, 04:03 PM
I agree, you can use it anywhere just be careful to look at the watts. Most of those timers are only good for 600 watts. They will work for more watts but the contacts will burn out eventually. Also make sure it does not say "for incandescent lighting only" MH and PC lights are not incandescent. Again it will work on these but maybe not for long.

Jace18
01/10/2003, 05:09 PM
Double post

Jace18
01/10/2003, 05:09 PM
I am using 5 of those. i rewired two so all the plugs are under the timers control. So far they work great. I did get one bad one but all the others work good. Where did you find the black one all mine are white and gray.

Thanks
Jace

Avonlea,PA
01/10/2003, 05:34 PM
That's not the actual one I have. It was the only pic I could find on the net. Mine is tan.

I forget how many watts it's rated for, but it was quite high.

Thanks for the feedback. I had already decided I was going to use it, since it seems like such a nice convenient piece of equipment.