PDA

View Full Version : Pink Leather and pink colt for $60 each???

JoeBruin8
01/09/2003, 06:26 PM
Hi everbody,

Please give me your opinion on this issue. I went to a LFS today at lunch and saw a pink leather( very nice specimen...dark pink color and about and 5" in diameter and about 1.5" tall) The store also had a mediam size pink colt coral. They were selling for $60 each. Is that a fair price or on the expensive side?

Both looked very healthy to me but I am not very experienced at this. I have never seen the pink leather and colts before. How common are they? Are they hardy and easy to take care of like the regular leather and colt corals? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Peabody
01/09/2003, 07:34 PM
DANGER Will Robinson!

Those sound like artificially dyed corals. Avoid the corals at all costs. If they are in fact dyed, send a message to the store by not shopping there, and inform them why. These dyed animals are doomed to die and are something that must be stopped! http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-09/ac/feature/index.htm

Toutouche
01/09/2003, 11:34 PM
You would do best by listening to Peabody. The store is just charging you more for something they have condemned to die. Sad, but true. It's a touchy subject, but I agree that you should let them know why you are not buying them ( at least I HOPE you decide not to!!).

Legion
01/10/2003, 05:37 AM
FWIW- I have seen similar corals for sale and all were artifically died. To purchase such an animal is to condone such an act and is not only a waste of money, but more importantly neglect for a animals well being.

Chris

MalHavoc
01/10/2003, 07:38 AM
On top of the dying issue, 60$ for a coral is not exactly a deal, "rare specimen" or not.

Duce
01/10/2003, 12:17 PM
I've personally never heard of or seen a pink color colt or leather....However, if the LFS have both type at the same time....I would say something is fishy......you can find rare color morph corals but having 2 different kind with the same 'odd ball' color at the same time at the same place the chances are next to nill based on my experience.....
I do not mind paying $$$ for rare corals but I would stay far far away from artifical color corals and people who sel them...

JoeBruin8
01/10/2003, 05:31 PM
I won't be buying the corals. The corals caught my attention and I wanted to do some research on this site before making a decision. I am really glad I did the research. I think its really unethical what they are doing.

Peabody
01/10/2003, 05:34 PM
Please do the reef world a favor. Tell them you will not be shopping anymore. Tell them why, and tell them if they stop selling these poor animals you will return.