PDA

View Full Version : Washing sandblasting silica

duckhuntboy
01/09/2003, 06:19 PM
I'm going to attempt sandblasting silica in my new tank I'm setting up in about 3 or 4 days. I was wondering if I should wash my sand, or is it pretty safe? Also, if I do wash it, how do I wash it to keep the tiniest sand grains from leaving with the water?

Whisperer
01/09/2003, 06:59 PM

Whisperer
01/09/2003, 07:00 PM
I am currently using silica based sand (well, mixed with southdown at the bottom half, not washed) and very pleased. You have to wash the sand very thoroughly. Some of the very fine sand will spill during the washing but it's alright. Bottom line is you want the sand very very clean.

duckhuntboy
01/10/2003, 02:43 AM
Thank you very much. All my questions are answered.

wizardgus®
01/10/2003, 09:54 AM
Actually if you do a search here on the subject you will see that most recommend NOT to wash it. The reason is that you lose the most important particle sizes in the wash. I have used sandblasting silica for 2 DSB and used it unwashed. They have been fine. I also use a lot of sandblasting sand in my business. The sand has to be very clean and pure for it to work well for it's intended purpose as well, therefore it comes plenty clean right in the bag. Be sure you get silica sand, there is also a sandblasting sand called red flint. That you don't want in a reef tank. If you can find silica in 120 grit that would be the best particle size. Probably though you will only find 90 grit, and that is a very good size for a DSB as well. HTH

Whisperer
01/10/2003, 11:23 AM
There is too much dust and silt if you don't wash it. Water looks like milk-chocolate. I suggest taking sample on a basin and place it under running water and see how dirty it is. Besides, it is sugar-grain size all you remove by washing is the soluble organic compounds and on repeated washing you are bound to lose the very very fine particles, but not all. It's up to you.
Most recommed NOT washing Southdown sand. This, I agree because it is clean.

duckhuntboy
01/10/2003, 12:13 PM
I have 100 lbs of this stuff, half of which I wont need, so I'll try a little bit both ways. Thanks.

climber
01/11/2003, 10:29 AM
Try washing it in a pilllow-case. Put the sand in the pillow-case and rince it in the bath tub till the wather comming out of the case is thoroughly clean.

HTH!

duckhuntboy
01/12/2003, 01:47 AM
I may try the pillowcase.

christopherl
01/12/2003, 04:20 PM
I have a 75 gallon system that I started four weeks ago. I put all silica sand blast sand in this system. About 150 pounds worth. I didn't wash it and it took the better part of a week to settle. I started running the skimmer and it was getting a lot of silt built up on the neck and in the waste cup. My system did finally settle down and I'm sort of glad I didn't wash it as I'm sure there is a lot of tiny grains that I have retained. My algae bloom from the cycle has been nominal so far and my tank readings good as well. My nitrates are down to 15 ppm. I hope this doesn't confuse you on what to do. Just my two cents worth.

duckhuntboy
01/12/2003, 11:42 PM
I'll figure something out, one way or the other, and figure out what to do. I am going skimmerless on this new tank, so "skimming" out the silt may be a problem. I had a prizm skimmer in my old tank, and I was just too lazy to adjust it just right all the time, so I'm selling it, and trying a tank without.