PDA

View Full Version : tank question

Nikeninja
01/09/2003, 05:04 PM
I have the option of getting two different kinds of 55 gallon tanks. I'm not sure of the exact measurements but one is long probably about 48" length wise and about 10-12" wide. The other tank is only about 30" long but it is wider then the other tank. Is there any advantages to the longer tank? Is either of them better for the fish? They both are about the same depth, that is from top to bottom.

Any thoughts?

John
Snellville, GA

L and L
01/09/2003, 05:51 PM
It depends on what fish you want to keep. A tang requires at a minimum a 4' tank. But, will outgrow this 55 gallon tank in the future.

I like the look of a long tank vs. short. I have a 30g (36L x 12D x 18H) and a 100gRR (60L x 18D x 20H).

It will be easier to aquascape the tank with a wider tank... but, not that big of a deal. You just need to make sure that you have good circulation and a stable rock structure. Wider tanks makes it easier to create "steps" to place corals also.

It really just depends on what fish and corals you want to keep.

hth,

Mandoman
01/09/2003, 06:45 PM
Good points.....

For a fish only, the longer, narrower tank would be my choice.
For corals, the shorter tank will be more dramatic.

RIVERROBSKI
01/09/2003, 07:38 PM
I have a 55 bow front.I would go wider.so you can make more caves.but a 55 gal there is not much of a difference.Remember tangs are really delicate.

www.robreneasreef.com