PDA

View Full Version : Need new water pump question

Rob Schwartz
01/09/2003, 01:46 PM
So last night my return pump finally punked out on me, it's a Rio 1700 rated at 640 gal/hr (I know but it came with the tank!). It only lasted about 6 months which I thought was strange. I got it working again but it's pretty noisy now.

My question is this: Small space to put new one in, I'm thinking about the mag 7 or mag 9, any thoughts?

Also, logic tells me that the more water turnover the better, but if I buy something that is rated to 950 gal/hr on a 60 gal tank that has a small overflow area and a roughly 2 gal "Sump" section (All in one tank), do I run the risk of not being able to keep up with the overflow with more circulation (Now I know why I failed physics).

Thanks,

Rob

baseman
01/09/2003, 02:12 PM
I have a Mag 9.5 as my return pump and it works fine (course I've only had the tank for four months, so I'm by no means an expert). I have my return go through a gate valve so I can control the water level in the tank. I don't run it wide open.

Rob Schwartz
01/09/2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the reply,

Your signature shows that your 9.5 returns from a 20 gal sump and you have a 75 gal tank. which all makes sense (95 gal total volume).

IS the pump pretty quiet?

My worry though is that the 9.5 might be too strong for my 60 gal (Total volume 2 gal sump area), and might have a hard time keeping up with the overflow. Although again, logic seems to dictate to me that since the pump will be pumping faster then the overflow will overflow faster and all will be fine.

Still, simple thinking always seems to get me in trouble, hence my post!!

Thanks,

Rob

baseman
01/09/2003, 02:47 PM
I have two Mags in the sump (the second for the skimmer) and you have open the doors on the stand to hear them.

The reason I put the gate valve on the return line is so I don't overpower the overflow. I can raise and lower the hight of the water in the tank by opening or closing the valve. Keeping the water level right decreases the noise from the overflow. I keep it high enough to provide surface skimming, but not so high it sounds like a waterfall. BTW the overflow is built in to the tank.

Rob Schwartz
01/09/2003, 03:06 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

baseman
01/09/2003, 04:50 PM
Something I forgot to mention. Both my mags are in the sump. I sliced about a half inch of the filter foam they came with and put it under the pumps to eliminate vibration noise.