PDA

View Full Version : Advise on LFS's

Trixy
01/09/2003, 10:49 AM
I am about to begin this journey into the wonderful world of reef keeping. I picked up a used 150 gallon tank and included and Ecosystem and all the lighting I need.

While I still have a lot of equipment purchases to make and a quite of bit of research and learning before I start the set up, I want to start "building a relationship" with my local LFS.

There are several LFS's in my area and I want to pick the best one to give my business.

What type of things should I look for when making my selection of LFS's.

Thanks

MalHavoc
01/09/2003, 11:08 AM
The best LFS will offer you advice, and not try to sell you something right away. They won't say stuff like "to fix problem X you need product Y, which we just happen to have in stock", and they won't tell you to buy lots of livestock right away. They will tell you to research your animals and your decisions before you do stuff to your tank, and they will tell you that nothing good happens fast in a reef environment - patience is the key.

When you find the LFS that seems to do all of this, let us all know so we can all shop there too.

Most importantly, though, don't make any split second decisions about livestock or equipment. Ask us here first. We're not in this to make money, but your LFS is.

Eric Boerner
01/09/2003, 11:18 AM
1. They don't try and sell you something the minute you walk into the door.

2. If you ask a question about a problem you're having, the answer isn't "buy this and it'll be fine".

3. If you ask about a certain fish and if it's safe for your reef, they don't say, "Hrmmm lemme look it up".

4. Ask them what their reef set up at home is. If they don't have one, or aren't enthusiastic about telling you about it, be wary.

5. Watch their fish for an hour or two. Do they look stressed? Are there any dead in the tanks? Do some look like they might die soon?

6. Check out their corals, specifically Zoanthids. Are they closed up all the time? That'll give you a good idea of their water/lighting quality.

You have a 50/50 shot with most LFS. All are trying to make money. "Some" will do anything they can to make a buck off you. Specially with drygoods, because of how easy it is to buy stuff online now. There are many good LFS that know to keep your business local, they have to treat you right.

Vert20
01/09/2003, 11:48 AM
Great Question Trixy.. and WELCOME to the board!

This thread should probably be a sticky in the "New to the Hobby" forum...JMO

-V-

SeanT
01/09/2003, 12:07 PM
Trixy...there are TONS of reefers in the Raleigh area.
Go to the NC FRAGS & Corals forums and ask this question there. They will give you the low down skinny. ;)