PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms are dying, everything else is fine? what gives

dustint
01/09/2003, 09:56 AM
I need some help here. I have 5 ricorida mushrooms, two have totally melted and another, and nice sky blue cluster, is on its way. The other two are fine, as is all other corals in my tank. Parameters are fine, so I have to relate it to two things. I started dosing kalkwasser in my topoff, using the proper amounts and everything as I had done this alot in the past. I have also started to add the Kent product Tech-I which is a time released Iodine. I followed the instructions exactly, actually under dosing a bit, and Ive only made the second weekly dose of the 3 prescribed.

It started with two right next to each other, they both started to puke out a white mucus. It took a few days, and Id blow off the stuff each day after work as it would engulf them. Now they had shrunk to the size of a penny and I could see the tenticles, with no zoo's present, now they are pretty much gone. Then the blue cluster, near them has started to do it. I moved it to another location with a little more flow, and its still slowly going through this same process. Its taking it days, and it still looks retracted but ok, although the mucus is slowly being secreted?

What could this be? Related to the kalk or iodine?

Any help appreciated.

Dustin T

K. Lee
01/09/2003, 10:03 AM
Could be a reaction to other corals in the tank, a pathogen, improper light, or a stress reaction to something else.

I'd try and move the corals into areas with less light first, and see how they react if they are turning lighter. If they are becoming browner, I might move them into higher light. I'd also see if there are any other animals that are apparently not thriving. It might be related.